Community
Predator Hunting Tactics, Strategies and Reference Material Experienced Predator hunters share what works, what you need and how to best use it.

Which FoxPro E-caller is right for me?

Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which FoxPro E-caller is right for me?

Predator hunters today have higher availability and more diverse options available from Electronic Callers, aka "E-callers," than ever before. FoxPro has earned its reputation as the leader in the E-caller market by producing quality products, standing behind them with top-notch customer service, and continually pushing the envelope by offering cutting edge features not found on any other brand.

So the choice for BRAND is often very clear to hunters looking to get into their first (or second, or tenth) e-caller, but with so many models and features to choose from, it's easy to get lost. I have been fortunate to call over all of the current Foxpro line in the last few years (among many others in the past), either of my own or those of hunting buddies, and I've yet to be disappointed by any of them, but each model IS it's own animal.

Ultimately, each hunter has to decide for themselves which model meets their needs AND their budget, but without a doubt, no predator caller will be disappointed by a FoxPro E-caller.

Put simply, my opinion there are 3 models that interest me as a predator caller that would fit ANY hunter across a broad spectrum: For guys on a shoestring budget, the entry level Wildfire is a fantastic e-caller. For guys with a little bit more financial flexibility, the Hellfire is honestly a better value than the Wildfire. For those hunters looking for the cream of the crop and have a bit deeper pockets, the flagship Shockwave will absolutely NOT leave you feeling as if you've overspent.

To start out with, getting a little more familiar with FoxPro's line-up of features will help make the decision on which model a hunter would choose:

FoxBang: This allows the e-caller to 'hear' your shot, and automatically switch over to play your selected sound stored as Pre-set 1. Most guys would choose coyote distress or ki-yi, with the idea in mind that this might encourage a missed or wounded coyote, or more importantly, OTHER coyotes if you called in a multiple, to stop and take a look back, offering another shot to the hunter. Depending on the caller choice, there are two versions, the lower end models will only switch to playing pre-set 1 if the caller is playing, but will not play if the caller is muted. BUT, most of us will mute our e-callers as coyotes start coming into the gun. So FoxPro solved this conundrum by adding "Un-mute on FoxBang" feature to certain models. Even when muted, these callers will switch back on and play your pre-set 1 upon the shot.

FoxFade: Multiple speaker models allow the hunter to play two different sounds out of either speaker, and FoxFade allows the hunter to vary the volume of each channel (sound) independently. I've used this with a dominant male howl playing out one side, and female vocals out the other, fading between the two, as if they were in different locations.

FoxPitch: An amazing innovation in e-calling, unparalleled in the industry. It allows the hunter to alter the pitch of the sound files manually, tweaking the pitch higher or lower to send a new sound to heavily called areas, or to increase the intensify their sound and entice a coyote or cat to step out into the open.

FoxMotion: This feature fades the sound from one speaker to the other to mimic the motion of prey.

FoxFusion: Hunters can blend two sounds together simultaneously.

FoxCast: Hunters can design their own custom "broadcasts," allowing you to pre-program sets, then "set it and forget it" when you get in the field.

FoxData: Unparalleled in the industry. FoxData e-callers capture information, temperature, time on stand, atmospheric pressure, moon phase, etc about your sets. This info can be used to study your successful and unsuccessful sets and learn from your time in the field.

Auto Volume: Rather than a choppy break as you increase volume, or start or stop a caller, auto-volume callers will modulate the volume gradually and evenly for you.

So, with that reference in mind, onto the models!

Wildfire: For a predator hunter on a budget, or one looking for a simple, no frills, user friendly e-caller that is all business, the $200 Wildfire is a great option. With 35 sounds pre-programmed from the factory, it comes with a sound arsenal that will lure in any predator in the country. The downfall of this budget friendly model is the volume, most hunters will find themselves eventually wanting more volume from this unit (windy days, wide open spaces, or penetrating thick woods). FoxPro recommends adding their SP-55 speaker, and I would recommend adding to THAT a powered amplifier (mine was $50 at Radioshak) to really crank the volume out there. This DOES add $100-125 to the base cost of the Wildfire. In direct line of sight (e-caller elevated), you'll expect up to 100yrd remote range, 50-75yrds across the ground in the grass. It has an auxilary jack to run electronic decoys through the caller remote, and of course, the auxilary speaker jack. The Wildfire has Foxbang, which is a great feature, but not "un-mute on FoxBang", so it will only switch if you unmute the caller.

Hellfire: Rather than adding a speaker to the Wildfire, the Hellfire gives you all the volume you can stand, for about the same price as the Wildfire plus the additional speaker and amp, total = $350. The Hellfire has all of the features and range of the Wildfire, but with 75 sounds ($80 in itself). Personally, hindsight being 20/20, even on a tight budget, I would recommend the Hellfire over the Wildfire for the additional volume, and additional sounds. The Hellfire also has decoy and auxilliary speaker ports. The Hellfire has Foxbang, but not "un-mute on foxbang".

Firestorm: At $400, and with 50 sounds to the Hellfire's 75, I don't have a spot for the Firestorm. Without a doubt a great e-caller, but for the money, I think the Hellfire is a better value. The dual amplified speakers of the Firestorm don't quite have the volume of the Hellfire, and the battery life isn't quite as good. The advantage of the firestorm is that the dual speakers can cast the sound in a broader range than the single Hellfire speaker. It also has a more traditional form that some users may prefer. The same features and controls as the Hellfire and Wildfire (all 3 use the same TX-9 remote). No reason NOT to get it, but for the money, I went with the Hellfire.

Above this point, budgets are getting pretty serious. Most predator callers aren't going to drop $500-700 on an E-caller, but if you're looking for a good spot to burn that tax return, or if money isn't a limiting factor, there ARE reasons to invest in an elite level e-caller...

The biggest difference you will see above this line is the feature lists. All of the higher end e-callers using the TX-500 or TX-1000 remotes, instead of the low end TX-9 remote, have at least these features/improvements in common: 1) more storage-500 or 1000 sounds, versus 200 sound storage on the lower models, 2) more factory programmed sounds - 100 sounds, vs 35-75, 3) Un-mute on Foxbang, which will play your coyote distress regardless of whether you muted your distress call as the dogs came in, and 4) FHSS (frequecy hopping spread spectrum) technology that drastically improves the remote range from 50-100yrds to 150-200yrds.

Fury: The $500 Fury is the first model to step up to the TX-500 remote (see directly above). With FoxCast and FoxFade, 10 expert preset hunts, and the ability to handle 24bit sound files. The TX-500 utilizes FHSS technology, which dramatically extends the range of the remote, up to 150-200yrds with clear line of sight through open air. Similar volume to the Firestorm, not quite as loud as the Hellfire, but better sound quality with 24bit sound files.

For serious predator hunters looking to get into the most elite e-callers on the market, if you're looking at callers in this price point, I'd suggest you think long and hard about dropping another $100 to get into the new Shockwave, the absolute flagship of all e-callers on the market.

Shockwave: Absolute the flagship of the FoxPro line, frankly, the most advanced e-caller ever devised. Even at $600, it's still a great value. There is absolutely NO competition for this call in the market, period. The features are endless, and allow you to do things that no other caller can. I don't have one of my own yet, but have hunted with one a few times this winter and I really can't say enough good about this e-caller. Dying to get one for myself! FoxPitch, FoxMotion, FoxCast, and on and on... The biggest enhancement FoxPro added to this caller is the FoxData option, with NO competition on the market. FoxData lets you learn more about what makes your specific sets successful, and gives you more insight into what might make other sets come up dry. If there's a feature you could think of, the Shockwave has it. For $600, this e-caller stands proud as "worth the price".

Prairie Blaster: For the $700 price point, I'd pass on the blaster and pick up the cheaper Shockwave. The Blaster is arguably louder, but not enough to justify the price, and it just doesn't have the features of the Shockwave to justify it. To be honest, with FoxPro's "feelings" in mind, I really don't think the Blaster will last much longer unless the Blaster 2.0 incorporates enhanced features like the Shockwave.

So ultimately, again, I'd be looking: Incredibly tight budget = Wildfire, tight budget or casual caller (most guys) = Hellfire, Top end budget/dedicated caller = Shockwave.

Your mileage may vary, and any of the FoxPro fleet will bring predators into the gun (or bow, or camera) but for my hard earned money, that's where I see the breaks in e-caller "bang for the buck".
Old 03-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Their Wildfire is the biggest bang for your buck IMO and will be fine for most calling situations.

The upgrades are for increasing your call capacity and the top of the line for calling in big wide open country.

Best E-caller in the maket IMO !

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-02-2013 at 08:30 PM.