Predator Hunting Tactics, Strategies and Reference Material Experienced Predator hunters share what works, what you need and how to best use it.

Welcome to the New Sub-Forum

Old 02-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default Welcome to the New Sub-Forum

Welcome to a new sub-forum that is designed to be an invaluable reference/resource for hunters of all levels. This is the brainchild of NoMercy448 and is a work in progress.

In general, this sub-forum is designed for people to research topics, tactics, etc. by reading what experienced hunters in these areas can share. The concept of this forum is to be a collection of expert articles/posts written by experienced hunters who can shorten the learning curve of a hunter who is just starting or needs more expert feedback on a topic. Please save the generalized questions for the main forum so that this sub-forum remains a resource that is easy to navigate.

Thanks to noMercy448 for the great idea and thanks to HNIChristine for making this sub-forum happen. With that in mind, let the expert topics begin.

Last edited by CalHunter; 02-26-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty exciting that the powers that be were so responsive to this idea! Hopefully this forum can become a valuable resource for both new predator hunters and experienced guys alike, a place where tribal knowledge can get passed among members and more importantly, STORED so it's easier to access when needed.

Thanks to CalHunter for picking up the ball and running with it, and to HNIChristine for making it possible!

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the wealth of information we have here packaged into one reference area, so we can all improve our craft as sportsmen (and women).
Old 02-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

We're off to an excellent start with NoMercy448's topics. The FoxPro e-caller topic is especially helpful and answers questions about model differences with real world experience.

Although the sub-forum is designed for expert/experienced hunter articles/topics for other members to use as a resource, such a format does present a small dilemma for members trying to do research. What if the topic you want to research isn't already covered. With that end in mind, feel free to post a topic request in this thread. I'll leave the thread pinned at the top so it's easy for the experts to notice and hopefully post something helpful. Enjoy the sub-forum.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been wondering the same thing, that's a great solution! Maybe as we see common posts/questions/comments come up on the discussion side, we can copy those threads, or responses over to this side too.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

I can start it off. What are the different strategies or tactics for using a FoxPro e-caller versus using a mouth caller or both? Are the preferred setups different for bobcats, coyotes, foxes? Is there a difference between setups for gray fox versus red fox? Gotta throw a which camo is best question in since that always seems to get asked. How about scouting and what to look for in terrain for different species? There are lots more questions and hopefully these suggested questions generate more questions from interested members and also more articles from experienced members.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Note--Answer moved to top about which camo is best. Post left for post count purposes.
CalHunter

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-17-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Answer moved to another topic/answer
Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Note--Answer moved to top about which camo is best. Post left for post count purposes.
CalHunter

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-17-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Answer moved to another topic/answer.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Spike

I'll be the first to say thank you to you more experienced guys for sharing your knowledge. As a new hunter, it can be a little overwhelming at times and all of this information will certainly help.

Thanks again!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Spike

I feel like a couple good ideas for topics are scent control and decoys. Us new hunters are less likely to use an remotely operated e-caller so masking our scent is a concern. Also, effective decoys? Buy or make? How to place them?

Just some things that I've been looking for some info on that I'm sure other new predator hunters are looking for info on as well.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
....How about scouting and what to look for in terrain?...
Originally Posted by vliberatore
...Us new hunters are less likely to use an remotely operated e-caller so masking our scent is a concern....
Luckily for me, my job offers me quite a bit of spare time at the computer, so I'm working on threads for several questions, but I have one near completion (editing this weekend to bring the length down!) that covers scouting and set design that I think will help answer these questions.

So I'll apologize for the length of my posts (most of our 'regulars' here I'm sure are familiar with my "writing style"!), but I hope they can be of help to some of our users.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.