Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 BACK FROM FIRST CARIBOU HUNT!!! WOW >

BACK FROM FIRST CARIBOU HUNT!!! WOW

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

BACK FROM FIRST CARIBOU HUNT!!! WOW

Old 11-19-2004, 09:35 AM

Default BACK FROM FIRST CARIBOU HUNT!!! WOW

I just got in from my first Bou hunt in Quebec. What an experience! Got my first Bou on day 1 and second on day 2. Both had beautiful racks with double shovels and scoops. There were lots around and thanks to you guys, I didn't take the frist one I saw.

We left the Nouchimi outpost on Tuesday night and the Bou were all over the road, be careful going in!

Also a word of caution to Newbies. Don't butcher you Bou up there. We were given a Jeep Grand Cherokee instead of the Tahoe I reserved at the rental place in Ottawa. I cut up a few Quarters to fit in the truck. This landed me a $315 fine.

Again thanks to all for your help in preparing for the hunt. I was ready. One piece of advise I would add it to get yourselves a blaze orange hat in addition to your vest. The blaze really pops out on the tundra and the Yahoos are not all that careful with where they are shooting.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BACK FROM FIRST CARIBOU HUNT!!! WOW

Man, am I buzzed!!!! Thanks for the advice on the butchering! Was it that you quartered them that was a problem or that you broke the quarters down even further? I was under the impression that you could quarter them. Are you allowed to cape them and then quarter them?
Old 11-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

TOLD YAH!!!!
Old 11-19-2004, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I QUARTERED MINE RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE GAME WARDENS. sounds like your not allowed to actually butcher them down off the bone to me . i would call to find out.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cut up a few Quarters to fit in the truck. This landed me a $315 fine.
I'm confused here. Are you saying that the Quebec game wardens fined you for quartering your animals? Never heard of that before. In fact 95% of all moose harvested in Quebec have to be quartered to be packed out of the bush. We brought along a DeWalt sawzall and quartered them all and stacked them like cord wood in trailers. I was born and lived for 20 years in Quebec and have never heard of that before. What Quebec does have is a law that requires that your kill be transported in plain view until it is registered. But we registered all animals at the main lodge (Nouchimi) before leaving. Please elaborate on this.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:24 PM

You ARE allowed to quarter them. Just don't debone. They want to be able to determine how many Bou you took. It would be impossible to judge if you arrrived with a cooler full of steaks. It is understandable. Even a $315 fine couldn't wipe the smile off my face.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:25 PM

ORIGINAL: TerryM

TOLD YAH!!!!
YOU SURE DID!! THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very welcome , glad to help. Tell us about your hunt!
Old 11-20-2004, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

So have you thrown a couple steaks on the BBQ yet?
Old 11-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

rrules---Any photos? How about some details on the hunt? Conglads--I'm headed up there next Thansgiving---Can't wait.

Quick Reply: BACK FROM FIRST CARIBOU HUNT!!! WOW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.