BACK FROM FIRST CARIBOU HUNT!!! WOW >

BACK FROM FIRST CARIBOU HUNT!!! WOW

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

BACK FROM FIRST CARIBOU HUNT!!! WOW

Old 11-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BACK FROM FIRST CARIBOU HUNT!!! WOW

How deep was the snow up there? Did you hunt for Ptamigan as well?
Old 11-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Spike

I just left on Friday, and the snow was less than a foot in most areas. Birds? As a group we seemed to think they were thick in some areas but not in others. Fines? I received a fine for not using one of their pull off areas. 120, ca. We split our bou down the back without gutting and took the fronts, backs, and loins. We tried one of the loins last night and it was tougher than shoe leather. LOL. Good Luck.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

We tried one of the loins last night and it was tougher than shoe leather.
Thats surprising. We gut them like you would normally handle any big game animal and even bigger bulls yield meat that is better than any deer I have ever eaten. To each his own I guess.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:34 AM
Spike

It wasn't the taste, but the texture that wasn't pleasing. We only did that one loin, so maybe the rest will be more tender. Dosen't really matter though, I'll hammer them or run them through the tenderizer. We shall see!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now heres a question from someone planning on bou hunting in the future......if you cant bone your meat there do I have to ship whole quarters with me back to the states???? I was under the impression that you boned and bagged the meat while in the outpost camps to fly out with. Thanks for any help!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

There was about 6 to 9' of snow on the ground with some drifts.
I brought the shotgun up to hunt Ptarmigan. Never took it out though. I only saw one, but there were lots of spruce grouse around. Frankly I would have been too scared to walk through the bush with all the hunters around. The shot gun will stay home next year
Old 11-23-2004, 10:17 AM

Now heres a question from someone planning on bou hunting in the future......if you cant bone your meat there do I have to ship whole quarters with me back to the states???? I was under the impression that you boned and bagged the meat while in the outpost camps to fly out with. Thanks for any help!
Once you have the meat checked by the authorities at KM marker 385 you can debone it.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Hale87-----You say you got a ticket for not using a pull-off area? Please explain.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:09 AM

rrules---Any photos? How about some details on the hunt? Conglads--I'm headed up there next Thansgiving---Can't wait.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Spike

Parking ticket? Yes, they put in pull offs, I'm guessing in the last year. I was on a straight stretch, and felt I was ok. The policeman told me I was on a turn. I looked back and I could see for a 1/4 mile so I just smiled and thnked him. LOL Bird hunting? I did most of my hunting around the 444 marker, and we were alone most of the time. I killed my 2nd a long ways from the road, while most never left the road. I couldn't figure out why so many poeple would hunt so close to one another when you can simply keep driving. We had a great time and plan on doing it again. You had the oppertunity to road hunt or make it as tough as you wanted. I enjoy rough right now, I'll road hunt when I'm older. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: BACK FROM FIRST CARIBOU HUNT!!! WOW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.