Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Slow Rut?????????? >

Slow Rut??????????

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Slow Rut??????????

Old 11-14-2004, 07:31 PM

Default Slow Rut??????????

Hey folks, we have been having a little warmer than normal weather here this Novemeber. No snow on the ground and temps are hitting 10 dergrees in the day time. I don't claim to be an expert but the weather is what I am blaming the lack of deer activity on. I hunted 3 days this past week, which is usually prime time rut, and had a really hard time finding a decent deer. Plenty of does and smaller bucks but the big guys just don't seem to be quite in the mood yet. Sat evening i was surrounded by well over 20 does and fawns and a buck did not appear until well after shooting time. Even when he did appear he was not hot after the does like he should be. Hopefully things turn around by the end of this week because it will be my last chance to hunt this year. Anyone else having these same problems?
Old 11-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Slow Rut??????????

Funny you would say that. I have noticed the same thing. Usually the end of October the deer are really starting to make a lot of scrapes and rubs. This year there is very little of this activity and its the middle of Nov. There are plenty of deer around but they don't seem to be rutting?
Old 11-14-2004, 08:15 PM

I hunt Zone 36 in Saskatchewan and when i was out scouting the other day i only saw one buck and he was far from the many doe's which were feeding in the near bye field. I also hope it picks up!
Old 11-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have the opposite experience here in NW Ontario. Saw no deer in October and early November, and in the last three days have seen bucks everywhere chasing does and rubbing every tree in sight. Its warm here too but it doesn't seem to be stopping them.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

It's actually been pretty good here. It has warmed up a bit since, but the last week of muzzleloader (1st week of Nov), we saw quite a few bucks chasing does and both of the bucks we shot were chasing pretty hard. A big 4x4 and 5x5 that both score about 140.
I've rattled in a few good bucks too. One Thursday night that I didn't shoot but am now regretting. I may not get a chance at a bigger one in the few days I have left to hunt.
Here's my buck, my buddy's pics are still on the camera.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

I was out Sat. for pheasants and came across a 5x5 140-150 class whitetail hot on a doe. He couldn't care less I was watching him, he was standing in a grain field 75 yds away with one thing on his mind, HER! I watched them run back & forth for about 15minutes. I only wish I'd have brought my rifle. I've had a few buddies seeing some good activity around Alberta (near Red Deer) and I'm seeing all kinds of rubs when I'm in the bush after birds.JDinAB
Old 11-18-2004, 12:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hiawatha same here, was hunting in Zone 54 on the 11-15th, the action was slow!!! Even the rubs are way down from previous years. Our group saw several 2 bucks with one does scenario's and I saw 2 small basket bucks pushing does (would be the best way to describe it, as the does weren't really interested but the buck wouldn't let them roam free either). We noticed many family groups, but yet several yearling groups as well (not sure if rut or the fact season has been on since Nov 1 and some of the does have been already harvested causing the yearling to group being it is a anterless zone as well!). From our experience early morning was the best time to see decent bucks and activity in general (still way down from normal years). I believe it is all to do with the daytime temperature..they just ain't moving until it gets cool and even then the amount of food available is higher than usual in the bush due to no snow cover. I tried rattling deep in the bush and got some immature deer to commit & 1 mature buck who at that was very leary!!! The only real hawg I saw was a good hour before legal in the headlights of the dodge, he was alone and already in pretty deep cover.

One of the guys took a doe and out stepped a decent buck - 5x5/150 class he deceided what the heck and dropped him too, neither deer was smelling of heavy rut, while you could tell he'd been working it...it was not overly musky either!

My guess was rut was not on yet, the young ones were anxious but anything big was laying low and sticking to heavy cover!

Chatted with some guys hunting 1 1/2 hour north they said the bucks were running does hard in the fringes(near the forest) but as well not seeing them until those low light times(morning was the highest action there as well).

Unless the weatherman helps some rut will happen soon, it will just be under darkness!! Best bet if this continues is first thing in the am when the temp is still below freezing!

Still hoping I may see that bruiser nose down running a doe but yet another wierd weather happening of the 2004 hunting season!

Good luck!!
Old 11-18-2004, 09:42 AM

Well Skeeter I think our prayers have been answered. Cooling off a bit now towards the end of the week and are talking possible flurries. Hopefully the cold brings things on a bit. I am headed home today to hunt till Saturday evening. Hopefully get a good buck Friday cause i would like to take in the Huskies game but that all depends if the deer co-operate. Saw a really good buck (160 plus) early last saturday morning, he was just hangin out by himself on my wheat stubble but the bugger came out on the other side of the field. I have the doe's travel route on that field patterned out like clock work. If i could be so lucky as to have one of those does go into heat in the next 3 days i should have him. Things are looking good because the does are usually out in big numbers on that land 20-30 at a time. Chances of having a few does needing lovin are good. Easier said than done though hey. Well i'm off. Good luck to everyone. tc
Old 11-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck, hope you get a crack at him this weekend! I am heading out for Saturday so will have to watch the highlights myself. I hope the weatherman isn't pulling our leg, but can't shoot a buck at home.

Go Huskies(GREEN GUYS THAT IS)!!!
Old 11-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Heavy frost, finally cooler and same darn results! The movement where we were at was again first 90 minutes than nothing, even though we had decided to hunt in some heavy cover we only saw deer unless spooked during that time. I only hunted till 1:00 but my partner stayed out all day and said he saw a good buck by himself while walking out after legal tonight and that was all worth noting for the rest of the day. I finally did manage to see one doe being harassed by 3 bucks, all were smaller bucks. I did see a good buck with a doe but right around legal I couldn't make out for sure detail amongst the willow brush, I sure wish I could have managed a second look. Between the 2 of us saw a few 2 bucks with 1 does, again nothing staggering for size. I saw 6 single does file along a draw and not one buck in tow...so I am thinking tending stage, prime rut is close but not quite!

I can't see many more trips, the wife is about ready to call a lawyer and file yet again..lol. They all say it don't matter, IT IS A LIE!!!!!! I do is really I DON'T!!!

Positive note the green Huskies are going to the Vanier!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully they will lay a licken on Laval next weekend>>>>>GO DOGS GO>>>>>

Quick Reply: Slow Rut??????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.