HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Filled the freezer - Got Moose!
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2004, 11:37 AM
corey006

Default RE: Filled the freezer - Got Moose!

All the Moose that came in were almost undetectable. There was a little wind so they came in downwind and suspect that they winded me.

If we still had Cow tags in archery I would have tagged out first morning because a Cow came in and stood broadside about 35 yards away I am not sure if it was calf or what but there was another Moose with her. I am guessing that because it was about 75 yards further back in swamp it was an imature bull that was bothering/following her??

I did manage to call a small bull in to about 150 yards but he must have scented me or got scared by too loud of call cause he just decided to leave. Some guys I know got him in Rifle season a week later by scraping a bush to coax him in.

The biggest factor for me was the WIND WIND WIND....other than that the +20 degrees, sunny conditions, full moon, and hordes of sand flys, mosquitos, and lack of frost were the reasons why calling just plain DID not work as effectively for me this year.

I guess I cannot complain too much and expect a Moose every year but after getting 40" Bull last year(Archery) and calling in 5 Bulls all together last year I shouldn't complain.

Just expected a slam dunk this year but INSTEAD got RE-EDUCATED on just how hard Moose hunting really is...