Sweeping gun law changes? >

Sweeping gun law changes?

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Sweeping gun law changes?

Old 05-24-2004, 12:48 PM

Default RE: Sweeping gun law changes?

Dan O

As a Canadian gun owner with a lot to loose, are you a member of the NFA?

1st point:
Maybe there is not equality but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be.

2nd point:
75% of Canadians now do not support the Gun Registry. Given the population density across the country quite a few of these must be urban dwellers. gg.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Goodguy, I tried to be a member of the NFA 3 yrs ago. I signed up and paid my fees at a sportsmans show, after weeks of recieving nothing I e-mailed them and recieved no response. A couple of months later I received a financial report (from the NFA) that slammed the outgoing president as a crook. E-mailed again questioning my member status and received no reply.

I'm not trying to dog the group because I really agree with their positions and like their website, but, if they can't even keep track of their membership and/or answer an e-mail how can I expect them to fight the good fight against weasles like the liberals?

Feel free to alert the NFA about this thread, constructive critism. I wouldn't mind hearing a response from them because I really would like to contribute to the cause, I'm just not sure my money wouldn't be better spent writing a cheque to the OFAH or Stephen Harper.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Goodguy; just a member of the OFAH and Conservative party. I think the 75% who oppose the registry are doing so on economic grounds. When it comes to politics and beliefs about firearms I would tend to believe that the percentages would flip the other way.

Dan O.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:31 PM

Goodguy. is that correct? Forgive me if I have the wrong end of this, but isn't the reward you get for complying a stiff jail sentence. Isn't this just a fee elimination for those who register new arms, or transfer already registered weapons. There isn't any legal way I am aware of to regularize a current unregistered posetion. That said, some provinces say they won't prosecute under the act, though I don't know that will get the registry to register the "illegal" guns.

Also, as an argument, the point that this policy rewards those currently breaking the law, has it's problems. Isn't that also true of getting rid of the registry? Wouldn't that reward people who never registered? I'd like to get rid of the registry and don't want to give them any additional arguments against it.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:13 PM

Dan O.
[/quote]
I think the 75% who oppose the registry are doing so on economic grounds. When it comes to politics and beliefs about firearms I would tend to believe that the percentages would flip the other way.

Dan O.
Not just sure what you mean. But if you mean that (some of) the 75% who now oppose it do so because they see the huge cost overrun (from $2 m. up to $2 b.) then I would agree with you. I also believe that the public in large numbers now realize the registry does nothing to combat the illegal use of firearms which was the bill of goods the Liberals first with Allan Rock & then Anne McLellan sold it on. So now they also realize they were duped. Illegal guns and violent crime have increased. When someone like Toronto Police Chief Julian Fantino publicly states on several occasion that the registry has been of absolutely no benefit to them in any of their shooting investigations many people listen and then withdraw their support. So yes, some no longer support because it cost too much and others no longer support it because the light has finally come on, now finally realizing only law abiding people will register their guns and having a piece of paper beside Uncle Bill's duck gun is not going to solve very many crimes. So some who originally supported it no longer do so for 2 reasons; it cost way too much and secondly there is no measurable benefit to be gained from it. gg.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Goodguy; I think that you pretty well summarized what I was trying to say. The big kicker that we have going for us is the way that the liberals screwed up the gun registry economically. If they had of produced a lean and efficient registry the general public wouldn't be so inclined to be opposed to it. I don't think that nongun owners would give two hoots in hell about getting rid of it if it didn't hit them in their pocketbooks.

Dan O.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

Well being from the west, we have always had a problem with you guy's out east and the way you voted. Now don't get me wrong, I don't know who you personally voted for, but I'm basing it on previous election results. I hope you guy's complaining here can talk to your friends/families and have them vote the liberals out, once & for all. You wouldn't believe the way we feel out here in knowing no matter how we vote, it will ultimately be decided by the eastern provinces, and we'll just have to suck it up. So help us out fellas and vote vote vote!!
Go Flames Go!! JDinAB
Old 05-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

JD; we are very lucky to have a Liberal government in Ontario right now. They showed their true colours when they broke every election promise that they made a few weeks ago. It's nice to see the general public pissed off and the only person that they can take it out on is Paul Martin. Paul thought he was a shoe-in when he called the election but we actually have a horse race in Ontario.

Dan O.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-30-2004, 06:23 PM

JD
Well being from the west, we have always had a problem with you guy's out east and the way you voted.
If I wasn't such a "goodguy" I might take offence at the thought someone would even associate me with the Fiberals let alone accuse me of voting for them. Otis has pretty well explained it so no need to go over old ground. However, apart from some fairly large urban populations here in central Canada which tend to have a majority of lefties which favours the Liberals because of the electoral boundaries, we had more than an uphill battle last time around with the right divided and a abysmal performance by Stockwell Day. So hopefully this time around with Liberal popularity declining and a united right things will be better.

Oh! and just two more words; Anne McLellan. I hope you can talk to your friends/families in Edmonton West (which I believe is still in Alberta) to finally vote out our darling of the gun registry. gg.

Quick Reply: Sweeping gun law changes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.