Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Spike

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Hey Liquid, Why not give your negativity about Donat's a rest, everyone that's been following this thread knows they gave you the shaft a few years back. From my experience in 04 and others commentary since then I believe they have gotten better. They nor any outfitter has control over the caribou being there. Everyone knows Mirage is the class of the bunch. Unfortunately I and many others have tried to get in several times with no luck. It's all basically a do it yourself hunt anyway.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I'm pretty close. And I'm pretty sure the snowmobile question has been asked and answered several times. But my opinion is and I've been there many times...because of the road conditions, I would never take a snowmobile unless it was in the back of the truck. I'd rather pay the $135.00 a day for rental. Also there is always somebody there with one that is willing to help get it out. I have paid $20.00 more than a few times to someone with a snowmobile to pull a caribou out. Now if you have to use a snowmobile to get to the animals, like riding 40 or50 miles, I still would rent one rather than haul it up.

As far as snowshoes and a sled, yeah they work well too, if you know how to use snowshoes. Because they aren't easy.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:39 PM

hey bkmstr, going up dec. 2 from pa. sure i'll see you on the way,
stopping at val dor sat afternoon.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

We are leaving sometime Saturday morning and have not exactly figured out where we plan to stay the first night. We're thinking possibly Val dor or Amos. Where do you plan to spend the second night or are you driving straight in from there? We're thinking about either staying at K381 or working our way up to Radisson and then heading out to camp kisk on Monday.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

BKMSTR...I can't remember if this is your first trip up there or not. If it is you don't want to drive all the way up to Radisson to spend the night. That's more than 100 miles out of your way, round trip. Better to stay at 381.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Spike

Hey BKMSTR, This is my 8th or 9th yr cant remember but you should drive to Matagami and stay, We drive straight thru to Mirage outfitters. Like Darkside55 said don't go to raddison, we did that the second year, never again, way out of the way. You should make Matagami is 12-15 hours. (From Detroit) K381 is only 4-5 hours out of Matagami. So you deside, but driving straight thru isn't that bad.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Well the new map is out and if you are a Quebec resident, you should have your Caribou. They're all over the road in the resident zone. Some have even went through it to where no one can hunt them. There are still several thousand Northwest of the Trans-taiga and if they follow the rest of them, and I'm willing to bet they do, they'll go through the resident zone and right on through it. If you're going up any time soon, better have a snowmobile rented. And be prepared to ride 200 km one way. None of this is good for non-resident hunters.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:10 PM

New to the sight, new to caribou hunting, and I'm leaving on Friday for mirage. First trip I've been on where I let someone else handle the arrangements. I am a diehard and hunt all over the west and midwest every year so will do what it takes to geter done but 200km one way to get to the animals? My computer is so slow I can't get the map up but I thought thier were 40 cows that had tags on them and are you saying all 40 are going this route? About 15 posts ago someone said the animals were between Kiskimic and mirage. What happened to that herd? Surely thier is ice on the lakes enough foer them to get across safely- are they not crossing in the same areas as they do traditionally? A previous post stated that the herd migration was going to peak about dec 1 at mirage- thats all now drastically changed?

Sorry for firing the questions over the bow but looking to get some info to avoid a 36 hour one way camping trip!!!

Thanks man!!!

WI Shedhead
Old 11-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

What is the distance from K381 to Camp Kisk & what is the distance from Radisson to Camp Kisk? We would like to finish out the last part of the trip with daylight as we've heard the road to Kisk can be "interesting". Plus, we're pretty sure by the looks of the maps we'll be spending a lot of time following caribou!!

Someone needs to push those bou to the east!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

Don't panic yet. Remember last year they came down for about two weeks and then went back north and stayed there. This looks a lot like 2004 when the main migration was early. There were still animals in the non-resident zone but not as many. You had to hunt really hard. See what happens next week.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.