Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 08-20-2006, 07:35 AM
Spike

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

It's getting time to start thinking about this years hunt. I'm booked at Donat's Nov. 23-26. Does anyone know about the USDAgame processing requirements for getting the animals back into the USA for this year? Also any opinions on the best GPS unit near the $200 price range?
Old 08-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure about the requirementsfor transporting game, but I'll be at Donats the same week,we should arrange to meet for a beer.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

The laws are basically the same as 2005 - you can bring the heads but no soft tissues organs. Just cook up the heart and liver a Donats - makes a great snack for the long ride out.

I use a Magellen Meridian Gold - it has a large screen and is easy to use for way-point setting. I can see ponds lakes easy and the reception is excellent up top - 199$ new - maps of QC I found free online.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Spike

Sounds good to me. We will be a group of seven. Four from Michigan, and three from Wisconsin. Hopefully wev'e picked the right time.

Thanks for Info Nord. I will look into that Magellan.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

what is the deal with the soft tissue organs? what diseases are they worried about?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Idont know about other states but Pa has a hit list of states and includes all ofCanada in a rule that prohibits any partof the brain or spinal column. that means cape the head and clean the skull. It also means that you must btcher the animal in a way that no spinal bones are sawed and left with any or the meatmeat. Youll have to filet the backstraps off instead of having the butcher saw the chops.

This for bringing it in or transporting it through!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Most states follow the USDA guidelines but some states vary. You should check your state's regs to be sure. You can also go to www.aphis.usda.gov.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:30 AM

Hey QC Bouman,

Do you still remember where you got the free maps for QC? Magellan wants 199$ just for the canada chip. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

The boarder cop told me that the ban was lifted on the spinal stuff but they were worried aboutBSE potentials in the organs that people are eating - this is somewhat less related to the CWD issues, but he said he soft tissuehas been in affect for severla years. THis is all while I havefrozen shut animals with heart and liver still hanging inside.

Of course I agreed with him.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

I will send to you.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.