Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 10-31-2007, 06:27 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

You are correct, you cannot hunt out of the main lodge at Nouchimi...however, they have several camp trailors set up and ours is in the hunting area (per conversation with the owners). That being the case, we plan on driving as far as it takes to get us close to caribou....gotta do what ya gotta do. As far as the caribou are concerned, I would much rather have them too far north right now than already heading south. Good luck to everyone. Wishing you all full freezers! I will try and keep informed on the situation and post if I hear anything new.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:42 PM

Whip, your are staying in a Nouchimi outpost camp? I have not heard good things about thier outpost camps; stuff like no hot water and outside toilets. I hope they've spruced up the place for your sake. Did they tell you at what kilometer marker your camp was located?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:53 PM

I hear it has running water nowadays. I am not looking to be catered to, nor do I really require running water or indoor plumbing. I guess my point is, I am going there tokill caribou and my comfort is not top priority. From past experience, I find I am most comfortable when things become uncomfortable I like to rough it and test my fortitude. I am not sure what kilometer this camp is located at. I know the people who normally hunt it have killed several caribou at a stones throw from the trailor. I will have to check....two other members of my party are much more well informed (the ones I am meeting in Vald'Or). I will get back to you snipe.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

I would advise you to watch the maps & this forum!! Last year Nouchimi was telling everyone to come up that there were plenty of caribou in the area to hunt while Mirage & Kisk were telling people the truth and advising to postpone or wait till later. I don't know anyone who has gone to Nouchimi and came back bragging about them! I also like to "rough it" as I've been on some fly-in moose hunts where they drop you at a camp with nothing and let you there for the week! But on this hunt, there is a certain degree of service you will appreciate!

If the caribou cooperate, we should all have a successful season reguardless of where we stay! Let's just pray the caribou cooperate! This next map should show some considerable movements to the south! That cold snap should have gotten them moving.

Exactly 3 weeks to the day, I plan to be arriving at Kisk for a great 3 day hunt!!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

Please post the map website again. Good luck to all who head north. CB
Old 11-01-2007, 02:30 PM

Bob,

Here's the link.
http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/wildlife/maps-caribou/
Old 11-01-2007, 02:36 PM

Here's a link I haven't seen posted on the forum lately that should help the new people. There is alot of good information about the James Bay area and the roads. It may help to give you an true perspective on the vastness of the area. Take the time to look at this guys other pages and he has a link to someone else's winter road tour on the James Bay road. Those pictures give a very accurate depiction of road contitions in the winter.

http://jamesbayroad.com/

Old 11-01-2007, 05:17 PM

Got a question for those that have done this before especially renting snow mobiles up there. First is there any rule about shooting two in one day? If not should you shoot two even if day light is fading and you can only pull one out before dark and get the other in the morning? I realize that if they are close to the camp (mirage) this might not be an issue but I have read of others going 20 or more miles in to kill one late in the season like when I am going the end of the first week of December. Do all of you take heating blocks for your engines as I have heard conflicting stories on this as well. Do you take the gas across the boarded or buy it in canada as extra and how much do you bring. Getting close and I am getting pretty pumped about it!! Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:35 PM

LUV,
Not sure what you were asking about snowmobiles. But I highly recommend it if there is enough snow to run them; which is generally not a problem. No problem shooting two in one day or in 5 minutes. If you have a snowmobile, then shooting late in the afternoon isn't much of a problem. I have dragged two caribou with two riders on the snowmobile many many times with no problems. I have never had a need for a block heater. I run a gas engine and have been there when the temps have dipped to -17 dF. If your running a diesel it may be a good idea, but probably not necessary. If you already have it use it, otherwise make sure your battery is in good condition and running synthetic oil is a good idea. I have always brought some gas with me across the border. I do it routinely all year when I run up to my camp in Quebec too. You shouldn't have any problems carrying 10-15 gallons. I would be as descrete as possible about how you carry it. On the run up James Bay road and across the Trans-tiaga you may need to slug in 5gallons if your cruise range is under ~320 miles.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

All those questions were answered before, somewhere in this thread.

You're only allowed to bring 10 or 15 gallons of gas across the border. The rule of thumb is, fill up every chance you get, then you don't have a problem.

There are no regulations on when you can shoot your 2 caribou. You can shoot them both within seconds of each other. Or you can shoot 1 the first day and 1 the last day. That's up to you.

The one thing I would caution you a little bit on...when you shoot your caribou, you don't have very long to get them gutted. They swell very quickly. You never want to leave them more than an hour before they're cleaned. And one other point. If you leave a caribou laying on a lake or in the bush over night, there's a real good chance it won't be there when you go back. The wolves up here are very hungry and big as horses. lol. Well...close anyway. I've shot caribou at last light, gutted them, left for half an hour to go get a snowmobile and when we got back the wolves were already on it. And it took a little persuasion to get them to leave.

It all depends on what time of year you come up here, whether you need block heaters or not. First week of December...it's a toss up. From late December to the end of season in February, you most certainly would need a block heater. Especially with a Diesel. I've had the temperature here drop to -50, which is unusual. Average is -20 to -30 from mid-December on. But there again, last year it was mild, only -10 or -15. I guess what I'm trying to say is...better safe than sorry.

From the looks of it so far this year, you may not need a snowmobile the first week of December. But the weather here can change in a heartbeat. If the caribou are in the hunt zone, you can drop them just off the road. If not, then yes you are going to need a snowmobile. Let's all hope they all cooperate this year because I'm getting a little worried about BKMSTR. He's so pumped because of last year when he didn't get to go. So he's been packed and ready to go since November 06. Just kidding BK!!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.