Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Spike

Hey everyone, sorry about the delay in returning results. 3 of us went up hunted at KISK the 21st to the 25th we all got 2 animals. say a lot of nice bulls and one real crusher. The lakes were not frozen and 4 people that I know of went through. that issue should have been resolved, ice should be good. the group in front of us had a hard time filling tags, lots of work and hiking. So good luck to all.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:34 AM
Spike

i should be up at mirage on sunday afternoon, can't wait, first time caribou hunting!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Spike

HEY BOU HUNTERS, looks like you all had a good hunt, anyone have any extra bou meat !! i did not go this yr, will be there next yr with my two grandsons, I talked to paul 10 days ago he said bou allover with about 4in of snow and some ice on the ponds. camp kiskimaastakin, SO LETS GO BOU HUNTING !!!

Last edited by huntcaribou; 12-02-2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: LEFT OUT INFO
Old 12-06-2011, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

Back in US today - tough hunting as animals are in small pods like they are when wintering. The main herd is 100 miles north and west of LA1 - some smaller groups are also being seen to the south and west of the TTR below Mirage – one group of 1-2K are moving slowly to the north and east of Mirage and should be crossing soon maybe at and to the East of Laforge Road.

If we get some colder weather the main herd should start moving south – issue is if they are too far west 22A will get the jack pot. Some are starting to weave down towards LG4 which is a good sign. No ice and many are falling through – animals and hunters. We had a death from drowning and 2 guys fall in with machines. One air lifted and will lose all fingers from the cold. All ponds are bad and the ice varies so don’t take any chances.

Later hunters may see a good amount of animals. Spent some time with the biologists – they told me basically the 2011 rules were put in place before the inventory was completed which was a mistake since the survey showed slightly increasing numbers. They stated the rules would be back to normal for 2012 – hopefully Simard will hear this and return the hunt to normal – we at least have the natives and outfitters voting on our side. We will know by Feb 2012 on the decision and how many tags are going to be released. Right now Mirage only has 650 committed so you cannot book until they get a decision by the council.

Off to the meat cutter with our animals – 4 cows and 2 bulls.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:23 AM
Spike

Thanks for the great update. We are leaving this Sunday morning and should be there early Monday morning to do some scouting. Sounds like you still managed to find them. I sure hope the ice conditions are better. Any other tips would be great as this is my first time hunting up there and we are also staying at Mirage.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Otterland
Thanks for the great update. We are leaving this Sunday morning and should be there early Monday morning to do some scouting. Sounds like you still managed to find them. I sure hope the ice conditions are better. Any other tips would be great as this is my first time hunting up there and we are also staying at Mirage.
Hey Otterland, We'll be at Mirage the same time as you, leaving Sun morning as well. We have friends returning Sat night so if it's not too late I'll post their results.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Spike

Thanks that would be great. It will give us something to focus on during that long ride up there.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Spike

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice we had a great trip we all tagged out on the second day looking forward to are next trip up there thanks again
Old 12-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Spike

hey warpipe sorry about the non responce to your message, just noticed it, how did you make out? It seems the boos stayed high.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by moorebam4
hey warpipe sorry about the non responce to your message, just noticed it, how did you make out? It seems the boos stayed high.
We ended up getting our caribou, but it wasn't a walk in the park. We spent a day driving the roads and glassing the lakes but few fresh tracks indicated the herd was elsewhere. Turned out there was only a few isolated groups close to the lodge so we ended up needing snowmobiles/guide to get to the caribou. Most of the animals were 70-80 km south of the lodge. Can't say enough about Mirage's hospitality and dedication to get hunters to the caribou. Seems caviar may be cheaper than bou steaks!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.