Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

3d

Old 01-18-2004, 05:55 AM

Default 3d

First 3d shoot of the year is today, which got me wondering. How many of you go to your local club, and if you do, does it have an indoor range for inclement weather shoots or just plain tuning in your bow? Our range here The Lambton Bow Hunters Club has a trailer and a outdoor range. The weather will play a huge role on attendance.
AL
Old 01-20-2004, 05:38 PM

Default RE: 3d

I was a member of a non local club, in Picton for a while, so it didn't mater to me whether they had indoor or not, but they did. There were some local barracks that one could rent for industry or whatever, and they used one of those for an indoor range. Not big enoough for any kind of major shoot.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:26 PM

We don't have a local club any more. Would like to shoot a few 3D tournaments this year though.

Shawn
Old 01-20-2004, 10:36 PM

i haven't been to a 3d shoot because i don't ever shoot my field points. I sight my bow in good with my broadheads and shoot them into a clay bank near my farm all spring and summer. i have had my bow tuned but still my broadheads fly a little different than my field points.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

i haven't been to a 3d shoot because i don't ever shoot my field points. I sight my bow in good with my broadheads and shoot them into a clay bank near my farm all spring and summer. i have had my bow tuned but still my broadheads fly a little different than my field points.

Shooting into a clay bank will definitely dull your braodheads bigtime...use field points in the same grain & your arrows should fly the same..........Brampton Mik[8D]
Old 01-21-2004, 07:59 AM

mike i am aware that shooting into clay will dull my broadheads. When i buy a package of broadheads i sacrafice one out of each pack for practice shooting. I shoot only one of my broadheads into the clay and use the other 5 for hunting. I shoot that practice broadhead on all my shafts several times and this method really seems to work well for me.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hiawatha, I think your bow needs a bit more tuning as the flight shouldn't be that different to make you not use FP's for practice. Look at tuning(string, cams, etc), spine, FOC of the arrow as places to start. Due your paper tuning after you've done the mechanicals. Also what type of BH's are you using? I know some will shoot higher or lower but group, which is the mission to accomplish for hunting. I have found fixed 2 blades by Steelforce and Magnus have always grouped like my FPs out of a tuned bow. Muzzy have as well. Most mechanicals do as well. Although for some reason wasp sst group high and TH's group low from my FP's but they all group and the difference is less than 1" from FP's which to me means I have nothing to worry about practicing with FP's and hunting with BH's. I am sure your aware every arrow and head combo can have a slight change in flight as to why you test all your arrows...I do the same thing with this regard and then mark the arrows that offer the best group and flight for hunting the rest go into the practice pile(which is usually 3-5 arrows a dozen with quality carbons). Now when I practice I use only FP's and the arrows that don't make the grade for the quiver, all I want to do is practice my form and know my yardage. This can be accomplished without hitting the bull or stacking arrows. Of course when season is dawning I will practice with my actual arrows and fire each broadhead on each arrow into a foam target...not required but I have a ritual that must be followed. I then number the arrows and heads to where they fit into my quiver. I only say this to point I am just as methodical about wanting to know flight and what my setup will do as you are shooting your one BH on your arrows into a clay backing. I think you should be able to save those lost heads and practice with FP's but whatever works is the best. Good Luck!

I like 3d's for practicing yardage and just hanging out with other hunters. I am not much into the comp part as I shoot a bow to hunt with and just enjoy the time outdoors. I belong to a club that has both indoor and outdoor ranges.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:04 PM

skeeter i used wasp 100 grain 3 blade fixed broadheads this year and they did a real nice job on my elk. I'm just staring bowhunting so i'm not too comfortable or knowledgeable about the fine tuning of a my bow. I took it to an archery shop and got them to tune it up for me. Now the broadheads fly close to the same as my field points but i am very picky and i want the arrows inside a coffee cup every time, no exceptions. Skeeter instead of trying to remember what arrow flys the best in your quiver I just label the arrow fletching with a permanent marker from 1-6 in order of their flying quality. It takes alot of guess work out of it. skeeter i see u got a nice elk this year, congrats, where in saskatchewan where u hunting if u don't mind me askin?
Old 01-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hiawatha, wasp are a good head and have used them in past myself(as mentioned I had a bit of change with the wasp sst from my FP's too). I have switched from the traditional chisel tip fixed heads to cut on impact heads such as magnus and steelforce for my all around BH to offer a bit better pentetration on moose and elk. I highly reccomend both for the bigger critters and 100 gr, they work and fly great. As do many other fixed heads. Check out eastons website and down load the tuning guide for things you can do at home with minimal effort. Your bow manual should have a section as well. It isn't a bad idea to have your shop check timing, string, limb pockets, etc but most don't fine tune with regards to arrow flight. Check out the tuning guide and any question ask, lots of knowledgable bowhunters out their who don't mind helping a guy out. I understand your being fussy 110%, I am the same way. However I have made my practice sessions more about form, building muscles and feel then group size. Of course I still want to know my bow will hit the target where I aim and it is nice stacking them up like cordwood. All I do if my fps group slightly different than the BH's, is put a temp bull on my target where they group. This accomplishs the feel good aspect/coinfidence, my intial goals(practicing form and so on), placement of the pin with realtion to the POI and yardage settings. When I am ready to hunt I spin on my BH's remove the temp bull and fire away. Anyway it is all about one person ritual and what makes them fell good and confident. Just a suggestion not a requirement or meant as critism in any way.

I do number my hunting arrows already, but a good tip.

I took my elk in the forest -zone 56 - north of Norquay, not to far from you really!
Old 01-23-2004, 05:14 PM

thanks for the tips skeeter.....i'll maybe check that out and play around with my bow this spring. Ya i hunt 48, greenwater lake park and porcupine forest area, so ya were up in my neck of the woods. stop in for a cold one next year.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.