Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Wolf Hunting

Old 12-23-2003, 07:09 AM
Spike

Default Wolf Hunting

Gentleman,
For some time now i have been trying to get as much info on a WOLF hunt that i can find .Question , does anybody know of a reputable outfitter or has any body actually been on one of these hunts?I am up for almost anything, trap line hunt, stalk. Do they bait for them? Is most hunting by foot, snowmobile, or what? This forum has a lot of knowlegable people out there that i hope can really help.
Thank You
Old 12-24-2003, 03:07 PM

Default RE: Wolf Hunting

We get them in Ontario, I don't know about guided hunts, or non-resident hunts. It is mooted on some other forums that they may be opening the new wolf pops out US west to hunting, though presumably that will be fairlynarrow opportunity.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check into Alberta, a fair number of northern outfitters offer combo hunts of Bears/Wolves or Moose/Bears/Wolves. You can take 2 wolves and in the northern areas they use bait (same as for the big bruins). They may have some wolf only opportunities possibily as well.

Old 12-25-2003, 11:18 PM

This URL names a numebr of hunts in Ontario:

http://huntingsociety.org/Ontario.html
Old 01-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Lapper:
The January 2004 Issue of American Hunter has an great write up on Wolves by Chuck Adams (Mr Bowhunting Grandslam)
It's packed full of info about Wolves here in the lower 48.
I live here in Montana and had no idea that wolves were so abundant and there is a pack my back yard.
Wyoming is pushing the Feds for Varmit status( shoot on site,no season, tag or license needed) to control these animals which are becoming a major problem.Idaho and Montana are sure to follow.
As far as hunting them now..I have a BC hunt this Sept coming up and the outfitter has thrown in wolf hunting. He say's he baits them which is legal, but say's they are pretty wary critters and it's hard to get a shot.
Good Luck
Old 02-19-2004, 07:21 AM

In Ontario all you need is a non-resident small game license to take a wolf, if you are from the US. This costs $65.00 canadian.
Generally, black bear outfitters will tell you to shoot one if you see one, if you have purchased a license. I know that's what I tell them. Last year, I had 2 hunters report seeing wolves at their bear baits (both were bow hunters + no shots).

If you are paying a guide, your hunt will likely be in winter, on snowmobiles, from inside a heated shack, watching a bait, that consists of some kind of meat. What you want to find is a 2-person shack, a quiet game of cards, and some long hours.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:24 PM

Try to find an outfitter that operates just south of the Algonquin Park area. The Eastern Wolf around those parts have Red Wolf DNA and is highly prized due to thier extinction in the USA. This red wolf DNA is also found in area coyotes but the bunny huggers aren't trying to protect them.

Go Figure.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:47 AM

Bob Bearman runs winter wolf hunts in the Nipigon Area of Ontario.Some of the biggest wolves around.Ph. (807)887-3801.