Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

[Deleted]

Old 09-21-2003, 08:56 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-21-2003, 03:14 PM

Default RE: supreme cort Powley/Metis decision in

otis i have had this conversation on other boards and only the native people have repied , and a few white people have stood up , but i get the feeling i am a minoraty in this issue .. just imagain 300000 people in canada hunting and fishing when they want .they are completely un regulated, the only punishment for them is to be shuned or outcast from the band ,big friggen deal .they should not be aloud to shoot deer because there were no deer in ontario when the indians were here ... what about out elk they are at jepordy what can be done not a thing .. i think we as non native people (blacks whites chineese japaneese and inda and others) get off our friggen asses and make the goverment and the indains hounour there treaty when they sold all there rights .... i just hope the the native people dont show there faces around the ganaraska river after our trout cause i would hate to see what would happen to them ...... threat possibly
Old 09-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is there somewhere that I can get information on this decision? This is too far out, even for the liberals.

Dan O.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-22-2003, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Don' t even get me started on this issue!
When I saw the headline in Saturday' s paper I pretty much had the same reaction as you Otis.
" Oh great, there goes the moose and elk hunting." Pretty soon there aren' t going to be any moose or elk on any crown land if this unregulated harvest is allowed to continue. Now it' s just going to get worse.
I was recently talking to a moose biologist here in Manitoba about the the heavy toll ticks were taking on the moose population in the Western part of the province. He was telling me how they will likely be decreasing tags and changing hunting zones from general to draw only in order to control the number of moose taken in those zones. I asked him about the Native hunting and do they try to do anything to get them to limit their harvest. He just rolled his eyes and said' Well, we try to educate them but.... and then he shrugged his shoulders gave me a " you know the deal" look.
In other words, we take steps to conserve the populations but you still get truck loads of natives filling reefer trailers with whatever they can get.
When we were in the Turtle Mountain area of the province hunting last year. The early moose season during the rut is a archery only season. This area is designated trails only. This area used to be the highest density moose population in the Province. Sure the ticks have been a problem but when you have natives taking 5 moose out for every one by a licensed hunter. A local CO gave me that figure as well. How is that going to last?
Not only is the moose population in danger but they drive their quads all over the place tearing everything up and not bothering with the trails which we as licensed hunters are only allowed to use if we need to get an animal out.
It' s pretty ironic when you are walking down a trail while bowhunting and a native with a rifle burns by on a quad.
One Metis in the paper this weekend was asked about the effect on the game populations and he said it would not harm them because what is the point of having the treaty rights if there was no game to hunt. Yeah right! You can see it happening already.
I say if they want unlimited hunting rights let them hunt like they did when the treaties were signed! On horseback with bow and arrow! Or maybe blackpowder. No 4X4' S, no quads, no high power, scoped rifles, and no high beams!

Old 09-22-2003, 09:53 AM

i gave my oppion on the excalibure web site and i got put thru the grinder .. they called me a raceist they have no one to police 300000 people hunting and fishing. mind you i did crack a joke but i did opologize and when i did the meties on the board called me on and asked me if i got nocked around by a native kid before no one in this world is better than any one else.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/php...pic.php?t=2649
Old 09-23-2003, 06:13 AM

I heard that this ruling ONLY applys to Metis that ARE and HAVE been in the past part of a " Metis" community. So anyone that claims to be Metis and lives in a regular city or town such as Saskatoon, Winnipeg, etc. etc. will not get these hunting and fishing rights. It has more to do with Northern or isolated Metis communities or settlements that RELY on fish and game as a " way of life" ....
Old 09-23-2003, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I heard this ruling we were in Elk Camp and my immediate reaction was there goes hunting. You see not so many years ago I remember being in the Hudson Bay area in Norteastern Saskatchewan on a Draw Moose Hunt. We saw a group of Ontario, Manitoba, Sask and Alberta metis hunters who had 5 - 45 foot reefer units roll in and they were laying down anything that moved (deer, moose & Elk) I ended up taking a nice bull but the carnage I saw was sickening, finding deer with the back hams only taken & the rest left to spoil...just to name one event of gross proportions). This fall when bow hunting elk I ran into 2 natives hunting Elk with a rifle, they said isn' t it Ironic you brought us the rifles and we brought you the bows...now you white guys use what we traditionally used and vice versa. He said doesn' t something seem not quite right. Now I must say these were 2 very nice native men and were hunting for family sustance, but even they didn' t think it was right and commented on how some of their people don' t respect the land and resources (especially the younger ones...tradition is gone now it is MY RIGHTS!!!!) As you can probably tell I am on the opposite side of the fence, I know many people who have metis status and will use it to the full extent (yet some who will not). I don' t think anybody has the right to hunt but rather a privelage, the people who need wild game to survive should be able to take from the land regardless of race or ethinicity - provivded they take only what they need immediately and can prove they needed to hunt for sustance. Seeing natives hunting in julywith gear nicer than mine makes me shake my head, they don' t need to hunt for food, but rather just doing so, because its their right and we can' t!

I will tell you this after talking with anumber of hunters last week, their will be a lot of troubles if they go on the rampage they did some years ago. Comments of I wouldn' t buy a license if this is true again, talking of poaching and yet other talk of more serious ramifactions. The boys are p' d and rightfully so...we pay for the tags, licences, goods, etc...without us no money to protect the resource and no economic spin off. I am not sure MR. JEAN and his Liberals know what can of worms they potentially opened up this time...his legacy may haunt all of us sportsman for years to come!

Here is top hoping & poraying they metis/natives adhere to limiting the harvest or the goverment both provincially/Federal wake up!

Corey006, Your correct but a number of years ago many urban metis applied and were approved status and recvd. cards. The only difference they had to prove the hunting/fishing was for sustance reasons...which means I have family they need to eat, thus I shoot a moose! The northern community metis can now hunt any time, but this ruling which apparently does not effect saskatchewan at this time(yeah right!!) was for any metis regardless of their geopgraphical location...yes the proof of sustance is still required and they are suppose to adhere to the regulations in each province. I think we will all agree if they gots the card in there hand pretty hard for a CO to say a thing about wether they need the meat or not (sustance).

But boys it don' t stop at just hunting, we will all be paying for the metis, no matter what portion is native and what portion is not for their kids to go to University (yeap that 1/12th metis who has a card and 5 kids will cost us 500,000)... it ain' t fair in my eyes.

I say time to take back the country and only those interested in being a contibutor need to apply![:@]
Old 09-24-2003, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

What a bunch of #$%& crap but what else is new
Old 09-26-2003, 04:34 AM

Discrimination is discrimination, regardless of how you do it. If equality is what people want, let them all obey the same laws in the same way. I am against discrimination in any form, including breaks for any ethnic/racial/ religious group.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.