Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
Leaf River Quebec Caribou Hunt Help?!?! >

Leaf River Quebec Caribou Hunt Help?!?!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Leaf River Quebec Caribou Hunt Help?!?!

Old 01-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Leaf River Quebec Caribou Hunt Help?!?!

My dad, who is now 71, has always dreamed of going caribou hunting. I told him that now is the time if he really wants to do it. We initially talked about going to Alaska but he called last night after talking with the Cabelas Outfitter service and suggested we go to northern Quebec and hunt the Leaf River Herd. I've been doing some research online and it looks like the numbers are still ok (~400,000 animals) but are way down over the last decade or so.

The real advantage as I see it is that we can drive to Montreal and then fly from there. That takes a big variable out of the equation (including additional cost for transportation of hunters and meat/trophy).

Of course the guy from Cabelas told him that their outfitter has about a 150% success rate (hunters can shoot 2 caribou).....is that a realistic expectation? My understanding is that the Leaf River Herd isn't so migratory as the George River herd.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Chris
Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/...boumigrations/

All they do is migrate. This site has a little interactive map that shows there approx. where abouts at certain times of the year.

Good hunting!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Chris - check out the QC Winter Caribou thread on this forum -

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/othe...u-hunting.html

This has a lot of good information on the hunt and where's/how's. We have been doing it for many years now in the winter hunt. Mirage Outfitters can support both fall and winter and have a good system of transport and guides - not to mention the best lodge in the James Bay Region - this is a great hunt and weather you drive or fly in you will not be dissapointed. I can see better than a 1.5 per hunter each year - most tag out and even in the lean years when the migration for the wintering area varies.

Best time of your life - call the lodge and talk with them - you will not regret it.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Spike

Default bou hunt

Originally Posted by clattin
My dad, who is now 71, has always dreamed of going caribou hunting. I told him that now is the time if he really wants to do it. We initially talked about going to Alaska but he called last night after talking with the Cabelas Outfitter service and suggested we go to northern Quebec and hunt the Leaf River Herd. I've been doing some research online and it looks like the numbers are still ok (~400,000 animals) but are way down over the last decade or so.

The real advantage as I see it is that we can drive to Montreal and then fly from there. That takes a big variable out of the equation (including additional cost for transportation of hunters and meat/trophy).

Of course the guy from Cabelas told him that their outfitter has about a 150% success rate (hunters can shoot 2 caribou).....is that a realistic expectation? My understanding is that the Leaf River Herd isn't so migratory as the George River herd.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Chris
chris-you and your dad will have a great time, what ever camp you go to, well not all of them but marige is a very good camp but do not over look camp kiskimaastakin very nice place to hunt and the bou will go by this camp first most of the time, lot's of good food,nice rooms. paul and his camp helpers are very nice and helpful, on were the bou are and how to get at them, just try to get the first hunt, unless they go back to the november hunt, then 2nd or 3rd are best, well good luck and have fun you will not just go one time,