Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
Traveling to Canada with Weapons >

Traveling to Canada with Weapons

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Traveling to Canada with Weapons

Old 05-14-2011, 04:40 AM
Spike

Default Traveling to Canada with Weapons

I am leaving on my first ever bear hunt in 2 weeks up in Saskatchewan Canada. I have never traveled with a weapon on an airline before.

Does anyone have any suggestions, tips, ideas, or opinions on carrying a bow case and a rifle case on an airline into another country?

Can you include items in the same case as your rifle IE; binos, rangefinder, clothes, whatever?

Thanks,
Old 05-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Good for you on your hunt. I leave in two days to New Brunswick.
Go to http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...om/909-eng.htm
for importation regulations for your rifle. I am not sure what is required for the bow. You complete the pdf form ahead of time and bring it with you. Rifles must be in a case, with trigger locks. No ammo with the guns. big no no.
Register your firearms with U.S. customs ahead of time. Look in your local phone book for the closest, and just give them a call for a convenient time. You must do this before your trip. They are good people, easy to deal with...no cost.
I would call your airliine and find out what they require for your gun and bow, then be sure to get a copy of thier regulations in writing. Airlines vary alot with rules, and you want to follow them closely. Once you know the rules, (like the canadian permit) it is very easy and not much of a hassle at all. I have allways found the Canadians very easy and pleasant to deal with, when you respect their rules.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Spike

Thanks so much for your input. I have discovered that not only do the rules vary by each airline but even within the same airline.

I have called Deltas 800 number and asked questions, Called the local airport, and even went out in person to speak with them. Each time I got a different answer.

One said I could put my bow and my rifle in the same case as long as it has 2 locks, I was told I could carry a box of ammo as long as it was in its original case (box) as purchased, I was even told I could put clothing and other items in the case as well.

Its confusing and I guess I will find out when i show up.