Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Alberta Draw stats??? >

Alberta Draw stats???

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Alberta Draw stats???

Old 02-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Alberta Draw stats???

Anyone seen the 2002 draw stats??.....wow some areas had liberial quotos.and some were down right. low.

What do you all think????
Old 02-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Alberta Draw stats???

Nicholal, you mean you guys don' t know what the quota is before applying for the draw in Alberta? Is it a standing or yearly thing?

Saskatchewan lists each species and zone with the quota available, on the draw application booklet. The website for applicants now shows what you have applied for and priority (or pool). Also check result well in advance of being notified by mail with your tags and apply on line with a credit card. It is much faster and easier now.

Do you guys have a similar way? (I am a interested, B/C I may be Alta bound with my job.) How is the hunting around Calgary? (I have some buddies in MH, Edmonton and north, but none (who hunt) in Calgary) It might help make my decision easier. Thanks!!!
Old 02-24-2003, 11:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Skeeter 7mm-We have a true priority system where you get a point every year that you don' t draw a tag and the highest number of points gets the tags first.We aren' t told the number of tags available before the draws however.Some of the numbers such as antelope aren' t even finalized until after the draw deadline.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

Renewing your " WIN" card in Alberta will cost $8.00 instead of the $4.00 they had orriginally told us. They say the extra $ will go to IBM towards upgrading the draw system.

The Gov' t is looking at one new improvement where if you don' t want to get drawn for a special license but wish to continue building priority, you can select a number instead of a" season/area" choice that will acomplish this.

AF&GA passed a resolution requesting a change be made so that a hunter who is drawn for a permit that they can not make use of that year, can turn it in to the " unasigned permit" pool and not lose their priority.

Robin
Old 02-25-2003, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Duffy-How long would a person have to give notice that they wanted to turn their license back in to retain their priority.The tags turned in should only be available to those that already applied and had the highest priority for that specific draw.Turning it in to the unassigned pool will let the fasted phone call get the tag not the person that has waited the longest.It won' t be fair as the priority system is intended.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:00 AM
Typical Buck

The resolution is of course just a recomendation to the gov' t.

It requests that a hunter who is successful in the draw could choose to refuse to purchase the license from a vender and inform the gov' t. before AUGUST 1. Then the hunter would retain his priority and the permit would go into the unassigned pool. I' m sure with some tinkering the permit could be reserved for a time period for someone with the most priority in that permit type to obtain it over the phone. But if it went to the first phone in after that it would be better than it not being used.

I have heard of someone being drawn for Moose and Elk in the same year and not being able to or wanting to shoot both in one year. This is the kind of situation where the above would be benificial.

Robin
Old 02-26-2003, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Duffy-I have talked to several other individuals and the general concensus was that unless the tags were redrawn with the priority system used ,none of us was in favor of this change.If you don' t want both tags apply with someone with no priority points in one of the tags to ensure you increase your priority without getting drawn.Some individuals would even like to see the system return to the way it used to be where you had to pay up front for each draw to keep people from applying for draws then not taking their tags when they are drawn.I have already sent an e-mail to fish and game stating my opinion and several other people have said they will do likewise.I like the idea of all the allocations being used but only if this is done in a fair manner where the priority system is utilized.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

Life is not always " fair" . The system of giving out unassigned licenses they presently use does not reward those with priority. Last fall I applied for male moose and non-trophy antelope. I was not drawn for eather. I phoned in and got an unassigned non-trophy antelope permit (in a diffrent area than where I' d applied)but when I got through the next time there were no moose (unassigned) permits left in the area I was interested in. Thats the way it goes.

They use the priority system in the special license draw.
They dispence with it and give out unassigned permits to first phone, first served.

Another resolution from AF&GA is that after OCT.1 any unassigned deer permits can be purchased by hunters who have been successful in the draw for the same kind of deer permit. So if a person gets a whitetail doe permit in the draw and there are leftover permits after Oct. 1 they can phone in and get another doe permit.

Robin
Old 02-27-2003, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

At this time unassigned licences exist because less people applied than the number of tags available for a zone.In other words no one that applied for one of these tags was denied the tag and the tags were left over because no one wanted them.In the case of a returned tag it is possible that hundreds or thousands of people applied but were denied the tag and someone that didn' t even bother to apply could get the tag.This is a totally different situation.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just got a reply back from fish and wildlife and according to them they are not considering this ammendment to the draw system at this time.They think it would be too complicated to make the change and still employ the priority system and agree it would not be fair to make the change if the priority system is not utilized.

Quick Reply: Alberta Draw stats???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.