Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Entering Canada with a DUI on you record

Old 08-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 17
Default Entering Canada with a DUI on you record

Im not sure if this is the right forum to ask this ,but I'll ask anyway.
Myself and 4 buddies have a bear hunting trip planned for late August to Ontario. Just recently one of the guys mentioned he had a DUI (drunk driving) on his record from 3 years ago. We did some checking, calling internet, etc, and found that Canada is very strict on DUI, and his chances of being alound to enter Canada are slim to none. Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? What should he do? We were planning on entering at Fort Frances/ International Falls.Thanks in advancefor the help.
ffmike is offline  
Old 08-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: winnipeg, manitoba
Posts: 51
Default RE: Entering Canada with a DUI on you record

Hey Mike. You right, Canada can be tough on the DUI. Have heard it can be several hundred $ to be allowed into Canada. This upsets some folks, however the US has been doing the same to Canadians for a long time. Best bet is to actually phone Canada Customs and Revenue, get the facts from the source. good luck, W>
lakehunter is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 09:34 AM
_Dan's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin and Canada
Posts: 2,415
Default RE: Entering Canada with a DUI on you record

Well, if you are planning on using guns they are going to do a background check on you and he will be turned around.

I suggest he bring his own vehicle and try to cross the boarder without you. That way if, and when, he gets turned back the whole groups trip isn't ruined.

_Dan is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6
Default RE: Entering Canada with a DUI on you record

I have been hunting in Ontario crossing at Fort Francis for 7 years and he is not getting across with firearm, after 5 years he may be able to pay his way across but only three years and he will get turned away. Also if any in your group has any assault charges or similar things on your record youwill have problems crossing. Any driving after suspension or reckless driving and you will get the 5th degree. Were you going hunting?
Voight24 is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 460
Default RE: Entering Canada with a DUI on you record


Get him to staighten it out. It is also important to tell them you issues when they ask if you have any problems/history of convictions. If you say no and they are looking at the screen listing the offense you are sure to be turned back even iof you have it fixed.

Not too much money - chalk it up to the price of Bear meat and the fun of the hunt.
Nord QC Bouman is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: James Bay Frontier, Ont. Canada
Posts: 337
Default RE: Entering Canada with a DUI on you record

This question has been asked and answered on here so many time...I can't count that high. In fact, one thread down from this is the same question you're asking.Canada does not recognize time served, probation and dismissing of charges. If you have a criminal record of any kind, you will be denied entry into Canada. The time elapsed between your conviction or whatever, really doesn't have anything to do with it. At the border, when asked if you have a criminal record and you say yes or no and they check, it's up to the sole discretion of the border services guard whether to let you enter Canada or not...not how long it's been or what the crime was. Like I said before, if you do get lucky enough to get across the border and you are stopped by any police force in Canada or a Conservation Officer, and they find that criminal record, without a pardon from the Canadian government, you can and most probably will be arrested and locked up ina Canadian jail. Even if it's a 20 year old crime. My advise would be the same as I've told everyone else. Contact Border Services and get a clearance before you come up. Or you risk going to jail in Canada.

Both the US and Canadian governments are flexing their muscles right now. I have a customer from Cincinnati, Ohio who is sitting in the Don Valley jail because he got stopped for speeding on the 407 and had a conviction that was 9 years old for a B & E. It's going to cost him some money for a lawyer to get home. We had 3 people from Indiana up here bear hunting last year, but not at my place, who had an uncased firearm after dark when they were stopped by the CO's during a routine check. They found they had been charged with poaching in Indiana. And as a result of that they lost their guns, their quad, paid $10,000.00 in lawyer fees and an $8,000.00 fine each.

Like I said above, the best thing for you to do is contact Border Services and get a clearance "in writing" and bring it with you. That way you have no problems. Other wise you're risking a lot.
DARKSIDE55 is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical
early in's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mont County, Pa
Posts: 7,368
Default RE: Entering Canada with a DUI on you record

If I'm not mistaken, it has to be 5 years since your sentence was completed for the DUI/crime. Then you are eligable for "rehabilitation" that will make you "admissable".You're much more apt to be questioned if you're driving into Canada than if you fly. Also having a passport is HUGE. I've bowhunted in Alberta twice so far, and haven't even been asked about it. I have a passport that's been stamped twice.Good luck.
early in is offline  
Old 08-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 152
Default RE: Entering Canada with a DUI on you record

Darkside is wrong ...here is the page and link


Security and enforcement at the Canada-United States border has heightened in recent years. For this reason, more U.S. citizens with past criminal charges or convictions are refused entry into Canada. Canadians with past criminal charges or convictions seeking entry into the U.S. are denied entry as well. In some cases, Canadian immigration officers at ports of entry can allow a person with a criminal record into Canada; however, approval cannot be guaranteed, and a processing fee must be paid.
Almost all convictions (including DUI, DWI, reckless driving, negligent driving, misdemeanour drug possession, all felonies, domestic violence (assault IV), shoplifting, theft, etc) make a person inadmissible to Canada, regardless of how long ago they occurred. For this reason, it is not recommended that persons with past convictions attempt to enter Canada without first obtaining necessary documents. It is always the final decision of officers at ports of entry to decide whether a person is allowed into Canada.
There are several ways individuals can overcome criminal inadmissibility:
[ul][*]deemed rehabilitation at a Canadian port of entry[*]approval of rehabilitation through a Canadian Consulate in the United States[*]temporary resident permit through a Canadian Consulate in the United States [/ul]
Persons are eligible to apply for deemed rehabilitation at a port of entry if the following are true:
[ul][*]There was only one conviction in total or one criminal act[*]At least ten years have elapsed since all of the sentences for the conviction were completed (payment of fees, jail time completed, restitution paid, etc.), including any probationary period imposed.[*]The conviction would not be considered serious criminality in Canada (most felony convictions in the United States are considered serious criminality in Canada)[*]The conviction did not involve any serious property damage, physical harm to any person, or any type of weapon [/ul]
Deemed rehabilitation is determined at Canadian ports of entry. Please be advised that requesting deemed rehabilitation does not guarantee that the request will be approved. Should a person wish to be considered for deemed rehabilitation, the following documents may be brought to a port of entry during regular business hours (Monday - Friday between 8 am and 5 pm):
[ul][*]a completed application form[*]United States passport or birth certificate plus photo identification[*]a copy of court documents for each conviction, and proof that all sentences were completed[*]a recent FBI criminal record check[*]recent police certificates from the state where the conviction(s) occurred and from any state where a person has lived for six (6) months or longer in the last 10 years [/ul]
If you are not certain that you are deemed rehabilitated or would prefer to know whether you are criminally inadmissible before your planned trip to Canada, you may apply for rehabilitation at our office and submit a non-refundable processing fee. If you meet the requirements for deemed rehabilitation, we will send you a letter to that effect. If you do not, we will process your application for approval of rehabilitation. You must apply well in advance of your trip as routine applications can take six months or more to process.

sc003ro is offline  
Old 08-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: James Bay Frontier, Ont. Canada
Posts: 337
Default RE: Entering Canada with a DUI on you record

I'm not wrong. I've done it for my customers a dozen times. You essentially said the same thing I did, just drew it out a lot longer. Get the clearance before you come.
DARKSIDE55 is offline  
Old 08-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn
Steelcity's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: nst, pennsylvania
Posts: 204
Default RE: Entering Canada with a DUI on you record

Thats not true, i crossed at international falls 2 years ago to whitetail hunt just 20 months after a dui, all i had to do was buy a one time queens pardon for 200 bucks, they let me in with my gun and no trouble, just for 200 bucks it was well worth it seeing as how i had 2500 into the trip so whats 200 more to save it
Steelcity is offline  

Quick Reply: Entering Canada with a DUI on you record

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.