Driving from Winipeg to Thompson MB >

Driving from Winipeg to Thompson MB

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Driving from Winipeg to Thompson MB

Old 05-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Driving from Winipeg to Thompson MB

We are heading up to Thompson for a Bear hunt and we were wondering what the drive is like from Winipeg to Thompson. Specifically, is the road paved the whole way? And, what is a good town to stop for the night? Preferrably somewhere within5-6 hours of Thompson.

Thanks,
Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Driving from Winipeg to Thompson MB

The highway is paved all the way, but broken up due to frost heaves. after Grand rapids, witch by the way is a good place to spend the night, first street on your left after crossing the bridge is a good motel, it also has a bar and rest(name escapes me at the moment). between grand Rapids and ponton the highway is the worst. i was thru there about 6 weeks ago. thinking back it was about 20 miles n of G.R. where the road got rough.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Powderburns.

Hopefully I will have some great Bear pics to post. We are hunting with All Terrain Bear Hunts in Thompson.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 05-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

I sent you an email.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Grand Rapids would be the place to stay over night. There is nothing between Ponton and Thompson. If you got the time stop and take a look at Pisew Falls (not sure if spelling is correct but will be on your right hand side on the way up, between Ponton and Thompson), it is worth the look and a few pictures. I took a friend from Switzerland up to Thompson a few years back. He couldn't believe the space on the way. Hours and hours of forest. If it is your first trip up there you'll understand just how huge our Province is. It is like driving from North Dakota to Texas as one state. Have a great trip and enjoy our province.