Newfoundland Moose? >

Newfoundland Moose?

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Newfoundland Moose?

Old 02-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Newfoundland Moose?

I was told by a couple of guys that Newfoundland had the best Moose hunting in North America, is this accurate?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Newfoundland Moose?

They have some real good moose hunting, but I do not know if I would say that they have the best moose hunting in North America. I have heard that it could be difficult to get tags for moose there.

Good luck if you want to go there.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:28 PM

early, track down windwalker7 he has been there a few times i believe. To me it seems like there is a pile of moose there but the size is a bit lacking. Just speaking from what i have read and seen on the tube.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

early, track down windwalker7 he has been there a few times i believe. To me it seems like there is a pile of moose there but the size is a bit lacking. Just speaking from what i have read and seen on the tube.
I agree.If your introduced in a 50" areabulls Newfoundland wouldn't be the best place to fill that dream.

bigcountry is another member to pm regarding NFLD hunts, he has made mention of his experiences here in the past.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:17 AM

A good place to hunt moose. Odds of getting a moose are very high if you put forth some effort. Have been hunting there since 1998 and been very successful. People are great. Tags are supplied by the outfitter, which you must have an outfitter according to game laws, if you are a non-resident. If you need more info e-mail me.

[email protected]

happy hunting.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:40 PM

Newfoundland has a great moose population, although not the largest Newfoundland offers some of the best moose hunting in the country. One thing about it, you will see more of them and your sucess rate will heighten thats for sure. Plus, you get to view woodland caribou along the way.

Nice part of the country, nice people. We're their in late October.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

NL has a great moose population. In recent past they have had some problems with locals poaching the moose to sell the meat, but the population is very healthy.

Sizewise, the eastern moose averages about 300 pounds less than those in the west. I would say an average male in the east is coming in at 900 lbs, whereas the average male out west will come in at 1200 lbs.

You choose how you define "best", but if you decide to go for a moose hunt in NL, you'll have a good time.

Only residents have rights to tags. Otherwise you'll have to use an outfitter. I know quite a few guys that have gone there to hunt Moose and will get their Caribou tags at the same time.

Good luck,
Old 03-03-2007, 01:43 PM

Maine might be some of the best moose hunting - 85%+. no guide needed and anybody can apply. tough to get tags, but you can build points.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just caught this thread.

Yes, Newfoundland has the highest success rate for moose hunters.

The camp I hunted at boasted a 94% success rate I believe. I think that the average for the entire providence of Newfoundlandis 85%.

The problem is the antler size of that 94% and 85%.

I've only been there once but I ask the guides lots of questions when I was there.

There are some really nice bulls taken, don't get me wrong. The majority are small and very small racked. I'm talking 4pt, 6pt and spikes.

It is very difficult to walk on their ground. Its soggy and you sink with each step. It wears you out quickly. I believe that most hunter ( American) get so tired and worn out that they just settle for any moose. It happened with my two hunting buddies when I was there. You will walk and walk for miles if you hunt there.

The locals will not shoot big racked bulls. They all want small spikes and fork horns according to our guides. They say the meat is too tuff on bigger, older bulls.
( yes it is)

If you go there with the intentions that you just want moose meat, you will not be dissapointed. If you just want huge antlers, better go to Alaska. Nice bulls can be found in Newfounland but you will have to pass on small bulls to get that chance. If you get the chance. Kinda hard to pass when you are tired and your feet hurt and you've been walking for days.

The outfitter we hunted with operates 1 or 2 trophy camps. these camps will cost you an extra $1000. They were just recently opened in new areas that have not been hunted that much.A buddy's Brother in law went to one a few weeks before out hunt. His moose was a 52 incher. That's real nice for Newfoundland.

Kinda like getting permission on a farm that hasn't been hunted in many years back here in the states. Imagine the deer hunting you would have having it all to yourself. You get the picture.

Most of the outfitters run fly in camps. They fly you into places the locals can't get to. You are miles and miles from any roads. Its just that most outfitters run camps that have been hunted for years and years.

The camp I hunted at was hunted for 14 straight years with about 15 hunters per year. The guides said that they only ever had one guy that didn't get his moose from that camp in all those years.

The outfitter I went to runs about a dozen different camps.

http://www.biggameoutfitting.com/

If you have any questions, I'll try my best to give you some answers based on my experience.