Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Newfoundland Moose Hunting >

Newfoundland Moose Hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Newfoundland Moose Hunting

Old 08-05-2006, 06:33 AM
Spike

Default Newfoundland Moose Hunting

Hey everyone, I need any and all info. on Newfoundland Moose Hunts. This has been my dream hunt and I think I can finally plan it. So...if anyone has been on this hunt, has info. or suggestions, etc. I would really appreciate hearing from you. I am thinking of driving; is this crazy? Seems like it would be cheaper, even w/ the price of gas. How did you get your horns and meat back? I could take it with me but gotta keep it frozen.

Anyhow, please let me hear from you and THANKS![8D]
Old 08-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newfoundland Moose Hunting

Me and two buddies went last October. We drove from SW PA. It took us 24 hours driving straight through to get to the ferry. It was about a 6 hour ferry ride and then another 6 hour drive to get to the outfitters main lodge We hunted with this outfitter

http://www.biggameoutfitting.com/

We took an 18 cubic foot freezer and a generator in the back of a Ford F-150.

I'd reccomend rubber boots instead of Gortex type boots. I had LaCrosse Alpha Burlys and they were great. You will be doing lots of walking and it is different than walking here. The ground is saturated and you sink a bit with each step requiring you to lift your leg higher for the next step. This wears you out quickly.

Also good rain gear. The cheap plastic stuff will be ripped to shreds in no time.

Go with the intentions that this is a meat hunt. All the brochures show large trophy type moose but a majority of the moose actually taken are small 4 points and 6 points. There are nice moose taken but I believe most guys get tired of walking and just take whatever they see. At least that's what happened in our group. My moose was nice compared to their small ones.

The outfitter I gave you above also has trophy moose hunts for an extra $1000. They do get some dandys on those hunts.

Horns just have to have the skull cap clean with no meat or brain tissue when crossing the border.

I was told NEVER have any NRA stuff on you or your vehicle whencrossing the border or they will search the vehicle. No bumper stickers, window decals, hats, shirts, etc... Nothing with NRA on it.

It is a different world up there. You will have a good time. Just be realistic in your expectations on antler size.

If you have anymore questions, just ask and I'll tell you what I can based on my experience.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newfoundland Moose Hunting

I have a ton of pics of up there. Here's what I was saying about antler size. I'm not sure if those guys want their face on the internet so I blacked it out.

I only hunted about 20 minutes while they hunt a couple days. They were tired and just settled for any moose.