Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 12-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

The buck you saw followin a doe - was that the biggun you were watchin for this year Skeet?

Happy holidays guys, I am off to Hawaii tomorrow, so will chat withy ou all in the new year.
well get some posts of some nice sheds we all find

Relax, and start dreamin about next season! Merry Christmas all.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: agaucher

The buck you saw followin a doe - was that the biggun you were watchin for this year Skeet?

Happy holidays guys, I am off to Hawaii tomorrow, so will chat withy ou all in the new year.
well get some posts of some nice sheds we all find

Relax, and start dreamin about next season! Merry Christmas all.
AG,

Yeah same deer
Enjoy the fun and sun. What island are you heading too?

I never stop dreamin' Same to you and have safe travels. Take some pictures of the sheds you findon the beach for us poor parka wearing fellas
Old 12-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

The silence was deafening...I see Skeeter spoke up and the thread is once again active. No new news on my front as the season has come to a close. Just finishing up work for the year and getting ready for the holidays. We're making a trip to Montana for a little shopping spree and I'll see if I can find a blind for a decent price. It seems I have all the toys one could want (or need) as a hunter so the wish list is pretty short. What I really need now is my own piece of land so most of my savings is starting up a fund for that. Problem is it;ll be a while till the account is big enough for my piece of heaven. Santa if you are listening!!!

All the best over the holidays fellas!!! 06 was a good year for most and hopefully 07 is even better. Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

JD, safe travels and all the best to you and the family!!

Old 12-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Skeeter, I've also been looking at the possibility of a DSLR lately. The photograghy opportunities up here are too good to pass up. Haven't done too much looking and I maystill go with a new digital instead. Let me know what you end up with and how you like it.

JD, Have a safe trip and happy holidays.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Saskabush

Skeeter, I've also been looking at the possibility of a DSLR lately. The photograghy opportunities up here are too good to pass up. Haven't done too much looking and I maystill go with a new digital instead. Let me know what you end up with and how you like it.

JD, Have a safe trip and happy holidays.
10-4. I will say nothing beats the quality an SLR can produce but the lens to get that are what sets you back!! I'd reccomend looking at Nikon my F80 has been a dream and the amount of aftermarket lenses available besides Nikor is second to none. The Nikors are sweet but my 30-135 was more than body itself so it can get pretty spendy. If I were to buy an DSLR it would be the D80/10 MP but at over a G note it's an investment. I sold my telephoto lens because I wasn't happy with it (not nikor el cheapo off ebay[:'(])so would be looking at 600 and up for that - 1600 plus seems a bit steep right now and the size has me thinking of the ultra zoom point and shoot instead. My partner bought the Sony H5 and so far his pictures have been impressive thatI have seen. Mom has Canon IS2 which is also been very good. TheSony H's you can buy a telephoto adapter that almost doubles your zoom capability (x1.8 I believe), so that would get your optical zoom in the 20-24x range,just an FYI. Here in Canada they sell for 250.00 but I have seen them on ebay for less. As mentioned the Sony H2 has the inside track due to price and the ability if required to up the optical zoom. Though the Canon has a tilting preview screen and according to reviews/break downsa slightly better image stabilzer and movie mode(if that is a concern). While the H5 screen is simply awesome the cheapestI have found it for is 499.00 with reg price being 540, seems like a lot for 1" bigger screen with 200K pix count. The 1 additional MP so I havebeen toldreally means squat in the grand sceme of things and in the case of the Sony the Zeiss lens usedis pretty much at the peak performance with the H2/6.1 MP. It seems everytime I think I favor one I second guess myself, so it will probably come down to what feels best to the hand and wallet! Then again I might do a complete 180, I'll keep you posted. Iwas giventhis site by a couple camera shops, it is thorough and may help you some www.dpreview.com
Old 12-23-2006, 07:56 AM

Hey guys hope everything is going well with all of you. Sorry i ain't been around lately was home from school a grand total of 12 hours then I went on a seismic job down in Carlyle, Sask. I had my bags all packed just about to leave for stoon and then I get a call to go to work lol ah well ads a lil christmas jingle. Sorry skeet i never called to cancel. On a diferent note the bones are dropping like a bugger back home i guess. Dad has found 2, neighbors have picked up a few and we also have a buck in the yard packin one side. Heading back home today after i finish my shoppin here in stoon, have to get out and look a bit but with all that snow it will be hard going. Picked up 3 tubs of minnows though planning on sittin on the lake tomorrow with some buds and who knows maybe get into some wallys. As for the wholesale sports thing, i stopped there yesterday to check out some stuff and pick up some yote ammo for the 7mm. Well the lighest they haqd was 160gr, what an opperation. I was then lookin at the morel yellow jacket broadhead target and they wanted 87 dolars for it, when i seen it in cableas for 35 or so. So even with exhcange lets say 50, wow. I told the guy i wanted it but never wanted to pay that much, he told me if i could find it cheaper someplace else to go right ahead. Well thats what this cowboy will do. I was eyeballing some gorrila treestands there as well the baby kong was cheap but the platform is just to small. I also found that stand 10 dollars cheaper at wally world. There were some others there A little bigger but i have a hard time beliving that wholesale would be my cheapest option. I finally picked up a ccard so i am going to do some online shopping as well to hunt for somke deals. Can't wait till that cabelas comes in to ab, going to be some heavy shopping roadtrips i believe. Anyways just wanted to wish you guys and your families a Merry Christmas and all the best in the new year. I am headed out to my drilling staff party here in a few hours, they got me an outdoor edge game processing knife set, with the comapany and my name engraved in it so i was pretty pumped. Anyways tc guys and talk to ya after the festivities.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

Dan Alias Hia

Pass on the Gorrilla stands, bought a few for the price reason a few years back and find after a few years use they started to get squeaks in the floors. Only happened when it got to the minus degree thing here and you know where we live ,it's minus quite a bit.
The price is usually what sells them but take itfrom me and experience stay away from the Gorilla low end stands like the baby and next one up.As for targets ,just go to a local farmer who grows corn and get a gunny sack and fill it with old clothes,spay paint some circles on it and your good to go,best dang target I ever owned, most targets now days takes a strong back bone to pull them,with this target all you do is pull with one finger and out they come. You'll never get a pass through unless you you use a broadhead, LMAO,yes I've done it[8D]I've been shooting at mine for 6 years now and still have yet to get a new sack to replace it.
Sounds like a great place and bunch a guys that you work with to give you such a usable knife set. Who is the oil co you work for here in Alberta Dan? My son-in-law works for Ikeda down in the Medicine Hat area. He's done some scouting for me on the antelope's down their for next season as I should get drawn after 3 years trying and also for some mulie bucks. He's into themall the time in the area he's working ,so it's nice to have eye's watching for me all the time in an area I have no idea about.[X(]
And for the rest of you guys who are still popping in hereI have to wish you all the best and thanks for being helpfull in so many ways. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and God Bless.
[:-] Rocky[:-]
PS No sneaking looks while the wifes away under the tree
Old 12-28-2006, 08:02 AM

Hi there I new to the site, from Madoc Ontario
Looks like some great areas to put up stands I used to live in rocky
Mtn House, a while back never had the chance to hunt though how is it?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome Harold

Madoc Ontario huh! Well where the heck is that ? LOL. Edmonton Alberta here and ,no I haven't hunted Rocky Mountain House,but have fished it's many rivers and lakes .The only reason to not hunting it is cause of the travel. Good to have you aboard and welcome to Huntingnet. A great bunch a guys in here and almost everything you ask will be answered asap[8D]Very intelligent bunch of guys in here and informative too.
Rocky

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.