Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 12-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Sounds good ag, i'll dig up some season dates and post them for all to see. Your sheep hunt sounds like it will be a blast! Some of the guys I met the year I guided whitetails were also sheep guides, talk about a dream job. Not for the faint of heart though, tough work! Make sure to take lots of pictures when you go or there'll be h*ll to pay. Skeeter will second me on that. I am definately drooling at the thought of hunting peace country mulies on both sides of the border (I should get my ab draw next year), would be happy to return the favor on whites.

Skeeter, do you hate being a left handed shooter as much as I do? I seriously considering ditching my 25-06 in favor of something in a lefthanded model. Heck of a buck your buddy got. Looove those droptines!

early in, congrats again on the hunt. Can't wait to see the pics.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Skeeter, do you hate being a left handed shooter as much as I do? I seriously considering ditching my 25-06 in favor of something in a lefthanded model.
No cheet yet another southpaw, the world is indeed small. My partner Rick and Brad also shoot from the wrong side of the tracks. Took a big step in my books Sb with that little tidbit...!

Except for availability.. NO.Love the .25cal and as mentioned want one.As i was sayinga few pages back I am thinking of taking a 7mm rem magchambered 700bdl and converting it to a .257 wby. Barrel burner but seems more of a logical build then a 25-06 or 25-06AI off the 06 cartridge family frame. It's not that I need it b/c the 7mm rem mag does all I need and fits real good. Just a desire of mine.

I take it you shoot right handed bolts? I'll never own a rh CF again, personally. Yes the move to left handed action will make a difference in your confidence and more importantly fit/feel. What do you have currently for guns and chamberings?

Old 12-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Inherited dad's Rh rifles, both are Rugers. One's 25-06rem with a 6x weaver scope. The other is .280rem with a 4x leupold. I also have a .50cal TC omega which has been gathering dust the last few years. I may have to break it out for my last MD doe this weekend.

I don't really know a lot about guns, ballistics and such but I plan on learning more. Not 100% sure which gun I would lose and what I would replace it with but it will defiantely be left handed. Shooting rh rifles sucks, it takes forever to cycle the bolt and re-acquire the deer if a second shot is needed.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

Skeeter...thats a hog!!!Good onhim. I myself am half Italian/half
Polack so I can imaging the goings on
Let's go early...get that geek on it man!!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

Saskabush

LMAO I thought you were from Saskatchewan bud. Da just noticed your from Peace country. Been wanting to hunt elk up your way for about 3 yearsand I also heard you have great mulie's up your way too. Any way of hooking up next year come Septemberfor an Ek mulie combo hunt???
My buddie hunts there every year but is not allowed to bring anyone else because of it's his brothers area[:'(].Been trying to find a away in with some one who knows the area. Let me know if your interestedand I know you have a great moose population their too.My friend always gets his moose on his elk hunt too.
Rocky
Old 12-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Haha, Yf. I guess the name is a bit misleading. When I joined I was stillliving in Saskatchewan. I moved to PR a little over a year ago for work.

You've heard right. The hunting up here is great. Mulies, elk, moose and whitetails are all better than average.

As for a hunt, I'm always open to discussing it. It's way too early to commit to anything but let's keep the idea on the table over the winter and spring.

What general area does you're buddy hunt? Just curious if they cover the same ground as I did this year.

sask.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Saskabush

Inherited dad's Rh rifles, both are Rugers. One's 25-06rem with a 6x weaver scope. The other is .280rem with a 4x leupold. I also have a .50cal TC omega which has been gathering dust the last few years. I may have to break it out for my last MD doe this weekend.

I don't really know a lot about guns, ballistics and such but I plan on learning more. Not 100% sure which gun I would lose and what I would replace it with but it will defiantely be left handed. Shooting rh rifles sucks, it takes forever to cycle the bolt and re-acquire the deer if a second shot is needed.
Like your dad's and now your style Sb, good choices in calibers for western canada's game! Seeing they are hand me downs from dad you may want to just hold on to them for keepsake and possible Jr down the road. I still haveall my dads give me's and won't part with them becauseof the memories they bring. If your looking for a left handed bolt 1 rifle do all, hard to argue with 7mm rem mag or 300 wm.Both are built for flat shooting and handling upto moose game with a great selection of bullets(be it as components reloading or OTC ammo). As far as rifle manufacturer's ruger, browning, savage and remington all make left handed bolt action models. Tikka is also now offering some LH T3's as well.Wby and sako have a few left handed versions available for the higher end off the shelf stuff. You also may be able to find a few winchester mod 70's in a lefthanded bolt, though to my knowledge they have been dropped of current productions. Which one depends totally on fit and features for you.

If you do trade or sell the one wearing the M4 Leupold take it off first.Well builtscope and back up is a very nice thing to have sitting in your cabinet in case something should ever happen to your mainstay. Plus the fact you'll get hosed being used and fixed.

Good luck, lots of info on this site to consult on various gun topics.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Skeeter, Plan Bmaybeto just hold onto both and start saving up for a new addition to the family (might be a hard sell to the Finance Committee). I hear ya on the sentimental value. It would be really hard to sell either as they have a lot of memories in them not to mention that I like both. Besides, I still kick myself sometimes for selling his 22-250. More specifically, for not keeping the scope from it ( Leupold VX II 3-9x). Either way, I'm in no great rush at the moment. I think when I do puchase, i'll be looking for something fast, flat and versatile in a model that's good "off the shelf" as I can't see myself getting too into the after market improvements.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Saskabush

So for you to hunt here in Alberta this year Sask,di you have to hunt with a hunter host? I saw you said you have just been here for a year. You need to be here for a second year to draw a license ,just wondering . I'll find out the area he hunts when he gets back in town. I know he goes through Grand Praire and hunts the Alberta n BC border.
Rocky

Old 12-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

YF, I'm an alberta resident now. Last fall (2005) I hunted with a host but this year I have resident tags. Nice thing about hunting up here is that moose and mulies are usually a two year draw, meaning I won't have to wait too long to get a chance at them

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.