Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 12-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Early, hia's tutorial is excellent. the nice thing about photobucket is that it automatically resizes your pictures so that they won't be too big to post. Very easy to do once you get the hang of it.

For those of you shed hunters out there. When do you generally start looking? The hunting buddy in HP has already picked up a nice fresh moose paddle. I know they are the first to shed but i think with the snow and cold weather last month it might be an early shedding year. I usually start at the end of Jan but always find the majority in the spring after snow melt. I don't have a sled or quad so that tends to limit how many miles I can put on. Once the snow melts i'm much more mobile.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:25 AM

It really varies in my area especially because of the snow. The earliest i have ever found a bone was boxing day while feeding the cows i picked up a real nice 5 set by the chop bunks. The problem i have is time for one beacause i am always away from home, but the snow kicks a guy in the junk. If the heavy snow hits after most have shedded then its pretty uneventful until May or so. It may not be that bad this year, there is a ton of snow at home right now however its been nice the past few days causing it to melt a bit. Once it gets bitter cold again the snow cover will be like a rock so any shed should stay ontop. the question is how much fresh snow wil we be getting in the Febuary/March stage.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

I get out after Feb. usually when a chinook hits. But like I said earlier, I usually come up empty. My best sheds have been found in Sept.
early...if you want to e-mail them to me go ahead...I'll post em for ya!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:20 PM

JD-Wow thats impressive. You should become a guide one like 4-6 acres and there easy money!

aquacher- Thjanks for the help but, wow you can take 15 sitka blacktails How big are they?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

wow you can take 15 sitka blacktails How big are they?
Tiny, have family on the island where the blacktails use their front lawn as a bedding and food source. These ones aren't the smastest of the species but then again anything urbanized gets dumbed down. Look and stout(run) like muliewith the bucks wearinga smaller version of the classic whitetail rack.

Around home the competition is fierce now for sheds you darn near have to find them warm! Feb/March timeframe but depends on the conditions. Earliest I have found sheds - Dec 30th at the lake. I think this year they'll dump them earlier than the previousyears on the account of snow and stress that brings. I hope the cut barley will still hold my deer in the ML zone I would love to find a few sheds from this years deer. Usually they pick up and move southwest or N. I haveyet to find one of thebucks I was targeting in this area, as the area to the north is pounded and SW is posted up heavy for personal reasons.

JD in regards to the game/scouting cameras what have you dug up? I posted in the forum here and never got a reply, though I asked specifically for digitals for colder weather. I have been talking with a few buddies who are outfitters and theyall state reliability problems after -15 with the new gen stuff. Seem the oldersetups that used the big celled battery pack to run are better once the temp stick drops,ebay has come up dry finding the older models for me. One I am interested in and has got favourable reviews is the Leaf River Digital. I can't find anyone up here who has used it yet in the colder temps. One fella I know has2 and says they are awesome but he was finished prior to Nov this year so never got to test them in the extreme cold. Cabela'shas them on sale for 249.00 right now.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

After alot of research I too have come up empty with more "don't get this model ever". I hear they all are bad in anything -10 and worse, some eat up batteries like they are going out of style. I'm thinking one model but they are slow triggers I hear. I'm making a trip to the states during Christmas holidays and might get something down there if I find a sale. I'm also looking for a blind, scope & a gun so I'm all over the place these days asking questions and looking for deals. My folks are off to Arizona to enjoy their new found retirement and offered to stop by Cabelas to get me anything I need so I have that as a back up as well.
On a side note...I can't believe how ripped off we are getting when it comes to hunting stuff. Compare blinds Wholesale all over $100, the same one at Cabelas is $49 and I saw it cheaper in Vegas this year. Scopes!!! Nikon Monarch $700-800 here, Walmart $399-600. And don't even get me going about guns. When I was in the "gun room" at Cabelas & Bass Pro. I could get a beautiful 101 O/U fully engraved with hard case no scratches for $1000-1200. If you can even find anything like that here (which you can't) would run you well over $3000[:@]I hate the fact we can't get scopes delivered here..such a piss off!!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Skeeter, I definately noticed there are more guys out looking in the pasture. I put on more miles than ever before last year an only came up with a handful and no matched sets.

JD, i purchased my swarovski (sp?) bino's from cabela's for 1375cdn after shipping, duty etc The same pair wasclose to $1650 from wholesale. I'm sorry but for $275 i'll wait a weekI've also bought all my camo from cabela's. Much better selection and price is no worse thanwholesale and usuallybetter.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

JD, yeah when I was into scouting camreas they were all 35mm at the time Camtrakker was really the only one to buy for up here. NOW a ton to choose from and if you view 10 sites you'll come away with 10 different reviews darn near. From the outfitters perspective the cudde was the most reliablebesides the last gen of digital Camtrakker. As far as new stuff nobody is really impressed so it makes me wonder why spend 250 - 500?? I am wondering about the el cheapo wildview 2 or 3, which run 100 -150 USD. Best I can tell they run 4 c batteries like the LR,etc but also have an option for a 12V SLA to be used in lieu. I am going to do some checking with the battery depo on how a SLA would fair in below zero temps. Was thinking a guy would need some sort of box to keep the weather off the battery, plano make a waterproof gear box that runs 10 bucks which would be large for a 12v SLA battery so you could probably insulate it to a degree??

As far as "No Sale" I frequent them as little as possible. Large majority of my stuff comes via mail orderas well. I have got some great deals on ebay in the past couple years, though you need to know your prices, models, etc and of course be able tostay out of the bidding frenzy .

Saskabush, anywhere closegets heat. You should see the Harris area...man talk about a gong show. I swear one day we'll hear a fight broke out over fallen bone!! It's getting silly if you ask me.[]
Old 12-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Spike

Last chance buck....with less than a week of our hunting season here, my buddy actually got off his *** and came out deer hunting ( damn moose hunters ) j/k Here's the result of a days hiking almost 10km. gotta love the snow covered lakes this time of year

LAters
Sprocky
Old 12-14-2006, 03:44 PM

Nice buck sprocket!

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.