Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 04-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

early in, the only way is if they don't make the winter!! If they made it through should be laughing as water and lots of green in the early growth stages will not be a source of concern like in years with less run off or drought. In my area the deer held the antlers longer then I would have ever thought possible,bare in mind we had well over foota snow in Nov, more thenI have seen in my yard with several dumps all winter long and it never went anywhere until last month. To my thinking means they were not too stressed by the conditions. Also they look awesome. If anything fawn mortality maybe up due to the inability to get around and elude predators.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM
If anything fawn mortality maybe up due to the inability to get around and elude predators.
I agree. I was out biking all day today around our fields lookin for sheds and found 4 kills on one quarter and several other kills scattered around in other areas. Not uncommon to find the odd one on a field but i have never found 4 on one quarter b4. No sheds, got a coon and that was the day. Reaally nice biking right now as the snow has made a crust that will hold the bike up making it more versatile than a skidoo. Was biking over 6 foot drifts and sailing along. Won't last long as itsoftens up the bike will break through again. Also the low spots in the field have filled up theniced over so that makes for some fun with the bike. Seems to be alot of deer around as usual, any field you look there is a good 15 or so there anytime of the day andmost look very well off.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:20 PM

Have a ? I'm traveling thru SK to hunt in the Malta MT area for mullies this Fall. Then I'm heading back SK an on to Ontario to hunt whitetails. Has anybody brought deer from MT to SK? If so was it much of a hassle?
Also how's the road from Weyburn to Cadillac, HY13 I think?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Spiddle, I can't really answer the first part of your question but the roads in Sask are hit and miss. Sometimes they're allright, sometimes they're terrible. At least in the fall the potholes should have been filled.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:45 PM

saskabush, thanks for the reply. i was thinking i had said something bad as no replys!! it looks like i will not be able to hunt montana anyway as i didn't get drawn again, maybe next year. i will just stay up in ca for a little while longer next fall. thats if we don't float away here. lots of snow wind an rain here, i guess spring fishing will have to wait till may.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:27 AM

I know this question might be dum but in sasketchewan are there any turkeys?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:24 AM

Other than lorne Calvert no.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 AM

There are some turkeys where I hunt. Not many, but they do exist.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Spiddle, I assume you'd need some sort of permit to transport game. If accompaning the harvest usually it is just your license/tag but a call to Canada Custom's Agency will give you the QT on requirements.

As far as roads they are miss this year where we got blasted by ole man winter but the sw faired much better then Central and Northern areas. Hwy. 13 has been fine in my experience, by saskatchewan standards that is, but it is a major Hwy that is well used and is at least maintained regularily.

I have heard claims of wild turkeys in the moose mountain area in the SE portion of the province (from manitoba). Other then that haven't heard of any other pockets and never seen one either on Sask soil that wasn't contained.

Sask res. 07' draw and regs are out online and paper.
FYI, Hia2nd week rifle elk is back to either-sex(1st week is status quo - boys only). Some changes to moose as well, 2 week archery, back to a split reg. rifle season for the forest zones and draw numbers up in a few zones like 48 (from50 to 200 tags).
Old 05-04-2007, 10:26 AM

Giddy up on the elk. Was going to have my dad put in for antlerless draw this year but if this is the case i think i will take him out reg season. Gettin the ol boy into hunting.

K has anyone else heard about the new meat regs coming down as of July 12th? I slaughtered a beef 2 weekends ago and took it in to our local town butcher to cut and wrap as usual and he and his wife were telling my dad and i that as of july 12th they can no longer take meat in to cut from farmers or HUNTERS. If we wanted to slaughter one of our animals it would have to go to stoon to be inspected and slaughtered by other folks and processed. It appears that this shop as well as any meat shop in any small town around here is goin to be tits up. We heard on the news that the new regs were coming down and were going to be stiff but i never expected this. I am not sure if this will actually happen as it will kill alot of business but the gov has done stupider things. I am waitin it out till july 12th and hoping that it doesn't go through, otherwise i am building a big walk in and buying a bunch of meat processing equip.

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.