Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 12-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Better be careful withan open invite never know when a road trip will happen and you'll hear the banjo music a playin'. Hia you in?? LOL
The thought of chasing elk twice in one yearwould make me go gaga, the wife on the other hand might pack up and move out. Nah when I arrive home no matter what the elk are doing I'm always bugling so she'd stay just for that I'm sure!!
Did I mention that elk season lasts for 2 1/2 months. It sure would be nice to go out with somebody who knows what the h*ll they're doing with those spooky buggers. Hia, I've got two spare rooms... You guys know where to find me if you're interested and It'd be a cryin' shame if you had to shoot a big whitetail while you were here. She might just pack up on you if you did that.

Thanks Shed, he was pretty happy with himself. I think he's hooked now
Old 12-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to interrupt you prairie boys bickerin! DOessound like you have a good Canadian-HUnting.net Hunt planned though!

Had a quick question guys:

Anyone else checked these new XP3bullets out? I am sure there are better hand loaded bullets, but as I am an OTC user, this looks real nice.

I am looking to downgrade my bullet in my .300 Win Mag from a 180gr Accubond, and have been comparing ballistics information on WInchester, Remington, and Federal Cartridges.

So far, the new XP3 kills them! At 400 yards the average for these bullets drop is around 18.5". The XP3 only drops 16.2''.

At 400 yards all cartridges Ive looked at have between 1440 and 1480 foot lbs of energy - the XP3 has 1925 foot lbs at 400 yards.

Just curious if somehow they are using marketing gimmick, but I cant think of/find any.

Anyone tried or know anything else about this cartridge?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

XP3 is new this year, so haven't heard a ton about it other than the usual marketing stuff. Concept isgood if it performs like advertised. I am not sure who manufacturers this bullet, I highly doubt it is OLIN (winchester) as they haven't developed bullets for some time. Though they do make it sound like aOLIN design in the info on the press release??

As to the ballistics that is for the 150gr bullet correct? Fine and dandy if your gun shoots it but not all 300 wm like 150 gr projectiles so you'll have to see how your's likes them. Assuming it does shoot well could be a great deer sized bullet. Though for the likes of moose and elk I'd step up to either 180 gr version of it or stick with the AB due to larger mass and possible closer shots leading to less pentetration due to the increased MV or move to 165 Barnes TSX which will give you flatter trajectory but being all copper won't comprimise terminal performance as a result.

BTW 2" at 400 yards is nothing to get hung up over, accuracy and practice rule the roost when dealing with longer range shooting! If you can get both great but don't settle based on a test firing from a gun other than yours and never take the paper ballistics as face value. Only true way is shoot the distances yourself and over a chrony for MV, then run a ballistic program to figure out the variables at those distances.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:43 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, the reason I am looking at the 150gr is primarily for deer, sheep etc. POSSIBLY elk, but ive never shot one, so I really cannot say.

like you said, and Ive been reading reviews, gotta try it out. Im going to buy a box tomorrow, see how she goes. Ill report back if anyone is interested.

I want to stay away from 180gr sizes, unless I am going after moose/grizz. I honestly think a 165 TSX would preform well on a mooose for that matter.

Regardless, I am planning on putting in alot of hours at the range this year. For some bloody reason our local range (local pop over 100k) only has targets out to 200m, but for sheep and prairie hunting I want to be comfortable at ranges in excess of 300, so ill setup my own. I think ill have to try a full bullets before I find a 150gr ish size that I really like. No problem though!

Maybe ifim REAL lucky, the XP3 will work like a charm. ive heard ABolts like em, but well see!
Old 12-05-2006, 09:55 AM

Hell i don't mind banjo music, always heard ya got a purty mouth skeeter. Ya i am really stoked about that states elk hunt thinkin bout it more and more. Physical training and mental prep has begun lol. Ya skeeter ya gotta see ol shed33 shot pool with one hand while sippin on one of many wisks. That night we went into the chelan bar it was only the two of us and one local guy. Was happy hour all night and between me and shed we left with a hundred dollar tab on wisk. Lost 3 years of my life that night but holy f did we laugh. Needless to say not much shed hunting got done the next day due to the swelling cabbage.

Saskabush can sask residents hunt elk there up around manning and that? Or a hunter host system thingy of some sort. If we can i sure wouldn;t mind comin up and chasin them around in the rut, don't need a bed cause usually i don't sleep much during the season lol. Sure i wouldn't have to twist jeff's arm to hard to go either. Not sure which wife he would bring though.[8D]
Old 12-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Hia, bulls are a general tag (3pt or more) in most zones up here including 527 (manning), so yes you would be able to hunt them with a host. I think a resident can host up to two non-res canadians a year so you guys would both be covered. Tags would be more expensive than normal ($130 + $25 for the hostlicense and another$25 or so for the habitat cerificatei think). Not cheapbut otherwise it could be done. There's elk in every direction up here but I have heard the manning area is better mostly because there aren't a lot of resident hunters that bother going that far for them. If a rut hunt was to be planned It would be worth investigating that area for sure.

As for a bed, if you don't sleep we could at least set you up somewhere where the bugling won't wake up the neighbors.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

WhatI wouldn't have given to be a spider in a cob web that night!

I ain't no campditch so better invest in a air filled companion if you feel the need to purge..!My rubber arm is aching already! Be bringingthe one that speaks when told too, of course! You think we'd find enough PIL to making it that far?? LOL

Saskabush when is the elk rut? Never been there, well that I remember any way. So what kind of habitat? Price is never too high when hunting is involved.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:28 PM

Tuning the banjo as we speak and deflating judy to fit into a suitcase for a road trip. [8D]
Old 12-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

I'll consult some local experts on the rut timing. Habitat is probably similar to what you guys are used to. Mostly mixedwood forest bordering cropland with some big river valleys as well, i'll dig up some pictures and post them when I get a chance. The Peace River Valley holds a lot of animals as it is a big valley. Think North Saskatchewan x2 or 3withmore trees and your in luck most of the beer stores here sell Pil.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Saskabush
I'll consult some local experts on the rut timing. Habitat is probably similar to what you guys are used to. Mostly mixedwood forest bordering cropland with some big river valleys as well
If the elk are around Manning then yes it is very very similar to what skeeter and i are used to. There are several blocks of forest along with farmland.Like i said i immediatley thought ofhome.Just a question though saskabush, How fun is that big hill when you first come into peace from the southest to make when its icy? lol Come to think of it i got a cousin that lives there.

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.