Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 11-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Darn cold sat. morning, deer were moving better than I expected andsaw the one but he never gave me a shot[]. The evening sucked movement started at my blind in the last 30 mins but no shooters.

Field photo ofthe bush buck/hunter from last week.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info on the blinds fellas...looks like I get to do some shoppin. My last deer hunt was a bust for me but my cousing popped a decent buck in our Mulie spot. Pics to follow...
Old 11-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

I guess seeing all those whitetails during mule deer hunting wasn't such a bad thing. We never saw this guy before but he's great for the location, not known for decent whitetails.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

side view

Old 11-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

rear

Old 11-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

best view...in the truck

Old 11-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Well, me and JJensen set out around 10pm for a long drive to southern Alberta. The following morning we arrived and with our hunter host, Dave, started scouting some areas he though some good bucks lived around. After seeing a number of younger whitetails and mulies, we spotted a very deep forked and heavy typical mule deer. As by this point it was last light, we watched him chase a hot doe into some river cooleys and disappear. The land he was on was private, and the owner had the weekend booked with hunters, so all we could do about this buck was wait and see if they other hunters cancelled.

The next day the season was open - I had a mule deer and whitetail tag, JJensen had a whitetail tag. We started the morning scouting some open hunting property, and getting permission from a number of other property owners. The evening was spent glassing some river breaks when JJensen spotted a heavy tined 4 point in the flat below us. Deciding I would put on a stalk, we repositioned ourselves on another knob above the river flat. Now looking down I noticed another two bucks with 8 or 9 does has emerged below us, undetected. I told JJensen I was going to go down and put on a stalk. Moving quickly down the break, I was spotted and the deer moved closer to the river. The bucks continued to run the does. Once getting to the river flat, I noticed that the bucks were pushing the does away from JJensen. I sprinted to the river in an attempt to lead them off from what I believed to be their escape route. Needless to say they heard me this time and ran closer to the river again - JJensen watched them run, and through his glasses thought he saw another deer running to join them. Hard to explain, but because JJensen was about 75 meters above me on a ridge, he could see what I couldn’t. That deer running to join them was me lol. So anyways after moving through some buck brush for about a half hour it was dark, and I couldn’t find the deer. JJensen on the other hand watched a number of other bucks join up with those does, and saw another typical and heavy 4x4 sky lined on the river.

The third day brought -15 temperatures, and some light snow. Me and JJensen found ourselvesglassing the same river flat. After seeing a number of small bucks, JJensen decided he would do a drive of the trees and heavy bush surrounding the river. Immediately upon him starting the push some young 3 and 4 points started emerging. When I positioned myself on a small knob, I didn’t realize it but I was directly above the main escape route. Throughout his push about 10 bucks funneled right beside me, including one massive 3x3 that clearly wasn’t going to grow anymore points. He was at least 32" wide. A few bucks did use an escape route further up river into a different cooley. When JJensen returned we decided to push some cooleys and see if we would run into these bucks.
Sure enough, about four cooleys up we pushed a nice buck non typical out. He was about 300 yards away, but I couldn’t decide if he was a shooter as he was moving away from us. We pursued him, but quickly lost him in the mass of river breaks. Later that day we returned only to find him, 3 small bucks, andmany does bedded in a break. I decided he was a shooter for me, and put on a stalk. After about a 10 minute hike I was on aridge above where I thought they were. They had moved. I worked my way uphill to where they were now, but jumped 4 mulie does with a whitetail buck. With two quick snorts, the mulie doe sent her group, with my buck in another group of 15 does running away. I set up and waited for them to emerge on the far side of the canyon. They were about 400 yards away when I saw them again, and after taking a number of shots at him, I missed then all. I went to where they were afterwards - no blood. I was quite disappointed, and had a sore nose from scope bite on that last shot

The final morning me and JJensen were in the same spot. I was disappointed about my previous day’s miss, so I decided that if they huge 3 point came out I would take him. He would be a great trophy. JJensen started his drive again, only to push way more does out today. They congregated in the middle of the river flat looking nervous. From about 2km up river, I noticed a big bodied deer hastily moving towards the does. I put my spotting scope on him and in disbelief realized it was the buck I missed the night before. I repositioned myself to prone, and waited for him to come in. He stopped with the does at around 400 yards. He was milling around, whenI saw JJensen emerge from his push. I knew I didn’t have long to get this buck on the ground, and two of his does ran to an escape route far up from me. I thought I had lost him there, but he remained. Although I missed at 400 yards the day before, I was in a much better shooting position today. I lined him up as he was quartering towards me sniffing a doe to his left. Bang. I looked through my scope to see him fall to his haunches. He started sniffing the does again. I couldn’t figure what happened, but as the does got nervous they started jogging towards me. Bang. I put another one right in the vitals, but he kept coming. Bang. Finally my last shot - a poor one in his back leg put him down. He was dead from the shot to the vitals when I got to him.

Pictures are below, but he is a non typical 7x5 with a very heavy left side. Defiantlythe character buck I was after.

The remainder of the trip was spent chasing whitetails for JJensen - needless to say he didn’t connect, but not without any chances

Ill leave that story for him to tell.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:51 PM

Skeetergreat pic there, white is definately your color, highlights your hips
Jd thats a pretty fine looking buck i must say. Nice deer anywhere congrats to your gang. my bro lives in Calgary and was out chasin deer over the past few weeks, claims he saw one whitey that made his jaw drop, never got a crack at em but some boonies around i guess.

Ag congrats on your slaying get them pics up here can't wait to see em. If you need help posting just hollar one of us should be able to sort it out.

Broke down today and bought a video camera. Picked up the canon Zr500 dv camcorder that was on sale at staples for 319. Looks to be good enough for the taping i will use it for, has a 25 zoom so that sealed the deal. Interesting to see how it performs out in the fields this coming year. Bought extended warranty cause i can already see it falling out of the treestand a few times. be nice to get some scouting and hunting up on here so everyone don't think i'm bsin all of the time, only half of the time usually [8D] As for the huntin i hear they are moving insane at home, jumpin the roads in the middle of the day, full out balls to the walls ruttin. We are feeding them in the yard again right now and dad says does will come in and try to eat in the middle of a day with a buck chasing them around the lumber pile lol oh i wish i was home to tape that.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

JD, good work man. Way to finish the season on a high. That's an good buck no matter where you hunt! You know it's a good deer when you have to leave the cover open on the truck bed.

Ag, congratulations, can't wait to see the pictures. sound likes a fun hunt!

Hia, good work on the camera. I picked up a little sony DVC last year and winter and have used it a lot out hunting and scouting. I hoping to have a chance to get whitetail on tape this week if it warms up a bit.

Skeeter, thanks for the heads up about Owen. I dropped my deer off yesterday and had a look at some more of his work. Definately seems like a first class guy and an excellent taxi. thanks again.

As for me, I didn't make it out this morning. The old man and I made it to grasswood before deciding it was too ****ing miserable to go out this morning. In retrospect, I probably should have gone as the weather is not getting any better and the roads will only be worse tommorow. I did make it down on sunday night and saw a crap load of mulies including one nice buck. I also saw a few whitetails, mostly does but a few small bucks too. Hopefully the weather cooperates and I make it out tommorow.

Sask.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good stuff JD, gotta love when the roll top has to be retracted!! Good looking buck.

Wait a go AG, look forward to the pic of your alberta harvest.

Hia, who ever said "you can't wear white after labour day" was a loser! lol Nice haul on the early christmas gift for yourself..enjoy!!!

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.