Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 11-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

4 down...

Old 11-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

gotta love the plumage...

Old 11-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Nice work JD! Beautiful birds.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Aye
So JD - you know anything about Manyberries area, or southwestern Cypress hills in regard to size of whiteys?

Nice plumage is right, ive never had the chance to go hunting phesant, I see you dont do it with a dog - does it work all the same? Whaddya do, just walk the hedge row?

-Andrew
Old 11-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hia, geesh ya cheap bum...get that filmed developed! i will send ya some more! you sound like a school teacher or something.. cant afford to pay attention! LOL ....

Naw, in all honesty Ihope ya fill that film up with that booner! cant wait to see the photos... I have had my big boy very close this past week with the bow... had to pass on him at full draw...right at last light..couldnt see my top pin ...(20) wasn't easy... but figured it was better than making a poor shot in the rain...needed a perfect one for the right blood trail..

Give me a call sometime ..

Troy
Old 11-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: agaucher

Damnit Skeeter! Shoot that 180!

What size of muley did you end up taking last year again?
Ag aren't suggesting I should poach are you? Season was closed just opened up today for rifle. I was SCOUTING with a spotting scope instead of the Zeiss rifle scope..lol. He is pretty nice, though the spliter buck (NT I mentioned), I call him that as he has matching spliters coming off his main beams about 6-8"(not drop tines but rather the come straight out of the main beem). He isn't real high but REALLY wide and golly gee wilkers a damn cool rack. I am going to give him a go if the wind is favourable, I just have to he was the one I wanted since the summer and now that I found him..well I just can't walk away without giving her the old college try.

I was drawn in 03' never filled my tag that year, got taken up into really chasing one buck and nothing else would do. My last mulie buck came in 02' via bow. We'll see how this years goes but if I don't fill the tag oh well.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

ag...no idea about manyberries or cypress hills (SW part of ABby the way not SE). I have heard it's a pretty cool place, big friggin hills in the middle of bald ass prairie. Generally known for it's elk and pronghorn. I'd guess it holds a nice whitetail or two but no experience to speak of myself, sorry.
As for hunting pheasants...yup I have never had a dog and have usually faired out pretty well. We do a few different things, usually alot of hard walking and pushing bush. Sometimes we'll see them in fields hedgerows & ditches and go after them. Smart birds though!! If you ever get the chance to go after them you will be hooked. A rooster breaking out at your feet (literally) cackling & flapping like mad will scare the hell out of you, but I just love when it happens. Works well if you know how to do it but it's definately nicer to hunt with a pointer. I'm pretty beat by the end of the day, but they taste great!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Ah I see - well good luck getting the NT then Skeet. Where on the main beam does his stickers go straight up? If theyre heavy as well as 8" would add nicely if your goin for score

JD - Thanks for the info. I suppose askin you about all these areas would be like askin me about some random spot in BC, cant knowthe entire province!

Pheasant hunting is a bit different in BC, due to lack of prairie, its basically you get persmission from a farmers with swamp/orchard/field or its a no go. Ill look around though as I know a couple people with land like this. Thanks for the info on those hunting spots though.

I dont plan on pulling the trigger on anything less than 150''. DOnt know if thats a pipe dream but well see. My friend who is takin me was talking to the guy who is hosting us last night, and jokingly told him I was looking for an 170''+ ONLY. The guy just about **** himself apparently haha, he told my friend that I should maybe look into driving down to Texas and hunting on a whitetail farm lmao.

Anywhoo, like you said it cant hurt to get out there and see what happens. Never know, maybe ill see/shoot the new world record!

Talk soon boys
Old 11-06-2006, 05:47 PM

I live pretty close to Taber, something like 45 minutes away. I'm just south of Lethbridge about 20 minutes. I never really hear anything big being shot around there. Manyberries is mostly antelope, and Cypress hills has elk, moose, and muledeer, but im not to sure about the whitetail.

I know where I am, WMU 108, theres a couple nice ones shot every year. I've shot a 151" 5/8 7x5 two years ago, Someone shot a 156" last year, and my friend shot a 163" this year...Picture below...I also shot mine this year, and it'll probaly score 120ish, i'll get some pictures tomorrow.

http://i14.tinypic.com/34ydzf4.jpg
Old 11-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ag, the stickers are at the G2/3 position heading straight out, normal mass. He also wears several other scoreable kickers (including larger than ave. browtines that are split). Inside spread has a good 3" of daylight beyond the ears, 26-28". Impressive arse view this guysoffers as you see the matching stickers way outside his body. Either buck I'd be pleased with so it'll depend on the wind. I am kinda of getting the itch to hunt whitetails devoting most of my time to mulies has me feeling a bit of the loop, so that may play into my mood.The weather is suppose to be cold on thursdaywith a high of -12& low -20's, at this point. Looks like no snow on the dirt either. Thanks though, I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

JD great pics as usual. Man I miss hunting roosters!! You are right nothing like them busting right under your toes. Exciting bird that is a real Bute in hand& the pan. When are you getting after some whitetails?

Shed hope you put your HOSS on the dirt next time. How are they interms of rut in your area?

Saskabush, good stuff. What is left for you in alberta? Elk?? Best of luck man.

To all the others who haven't posted or I may have forgot GOOD LUCK!!

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.