Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 End of the Gun Registry?!? >

End of the Gun Registry?!?

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

End of the Gun Registry?!?

Old 06-19-2006, 06:12 PM

Default End of the Gun Registry?!?

OTTAWA (CP) - Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day, declaring the federal long-gun registry a costly and inefficient nuisance to firearms owners, has introduced legislation to abolish it.

But there won't be time to deal with the bill before Parliament breaks for the summer this week, meaning a vote will be delayed until the fall. Day insisted Monday that enough opposition MPs will side with the minority Tory government to make repeal of the registry a reality.

The first signals, however, were at best inconclusive on that point.
NDP justice critic Joe Comartin acknowledged some rural New Democrats oppose the registry but estimated most of the party caucus will vote to keep it.

"It's just about two-thirds in favour of retaining it, one-third in favour of doing away with it," said Comartin.

<>The Bloc Quebecois, which has traditionally been nearly unanimous in its support for the registry, did not appear to have wavered. "I understand hunters, I come from a region that has many hunters," said Bloc House Leader Michel Gauthier. But when they come to him complaining about the paperwork needed to register rifles and shotguns, Gauthier said he tells them: "If that makes life so difficult you don't want to hunt anymore, then stop hunting right now. There are limits."

Montreal MP Marlene Jennings, the Liberal spokeswoman on the issue, said that despite some vocal dissidents the "overwhelming majority" of Grits will support the registry, created in 1995 under Jean Chretien.

"I'm confident that we should be able to fight off this retrograde attack by the Conservatives," said Jennings.

Day was unmoved, arguing that "the effort of trying to track down every single long gun in Canada has been ineffective, costly and wasteful and has not led to a reduction of crime with guns.

"Duck hunters, farmers and law-abiding gun owners do not pose a threat to Canadians. Criminals do."

Day has already taken regulatory steps to free long-gun owners from complying with the law for the next year. But actual abolition of the registry will require Parliament to pass the legislation he tabled Monday.

The bill would eliminate the need to register rifles and shotguns, but would retain the handgun registry that has existed since the 1930s.

It would also maintain current restrictions on ownership of automatic and assault weapons and keep the requirement for gun owners to take safety and training courses.

Anyone wanting to own a gun would still need to be licensed and to submit to police background checks.

The licensing system, however, could be a far cry from the current one that calls for renewals every five years.

The Tories say they want to work with the provinces toward a regime that would see licences remain in force for a lifetime - unless the gun owner commits a crime.

The much-criticized registry for rifles and shotguns was supposed to cost $2 million a year when it was introduced by the Chretien Liberals.
But Auditor General Sheila Fraser found spending had soared to nearly $1 billion during the first decade of operation.

Supporters of the registry say the computer glitches and administrative problems that plagued the registry have since been ironed out, and it makes no sense to kill it now.

The Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police and the Canadian Professional Police Association, representing rank-file officers, have also lobbied for retention of the registry.

Day has estimated that administrative changes announced a month ago will knock about $10 million off the $84-million budget allocated this year for gun-control programs of all kinds.

He's been less clear on the savings for future years. And he was unable to say Monday how much the government may have to pay out in cancellation fees to computer contractors who had been working on a new software program for the registry.

Day said that introducing his bill now, before the summer recess, will give MPs and interested groups a chance to "study and consult" before the fall.

He offered few details, however, on the kind of consultation he plans.
Conservative sources say there was a political motive behind the timing - to allow backbench MPs from rural and western ridings to claim, when pressed by registry opponents, that the abolition process is already under way.
So, THIS is how they plan to end the hated gun registry?!? End the "registry" but keep the "licensing"?!? So, is this step 1 of 2, or the 1st slap in the face?

Old 06-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Inactive

Default RE: End of the Gun Registry?!?

If Parliament dissolves the "registry" it would be a good "first step". Perhaps a reduction in the licensing fees would be helpfull - but i have no qualms about keeping it - nor do a lot of my hunting friends. One can only hope that sanity prevails at this point !!
Old 06-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely !

I've never been on the gun registry side in the first place .I just can't quite understand why the[Smart] people we've left in trust of our country,couldn't ssee through this in the first place instead of wasting our hard earned money on such a farce bill.

nubo
Old 06-27-2006, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

I think it's a great idea for someone wanting to own a gun to go through a course teaching firearm safety as they do now. I was actually pretty impressed with the material covered and thought it would be excellent, especially for someone that doesn't have a parent or friend that was able to teach them how to handle a firearm.

That said, I don't think it should cost as much as it does. Learning how to shoot a gun is likely going to result in a significant amount of revenue for the government with regards to taxes and hunting license fees. Throw in the material and instructors time and get as many people educated as possible.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 06-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think this whole registry was a joke from the start...
Nothing good came of it,And the Gov can't possdibly have any control
pertraining to the no. of firearms that Canadians have to this day..
Starting with Native Rights...If your native you don't need to register..
How does this make sense,right there you lost track of an unregistered firearm that could possibly be sold to a individual and possibly be used in a crimal offence and /or been used in a criminal offense already.....
BecausetheNEW GUN REGISTRY was originally based on the honer system,
There is still thousands of guns unregistered in Canada by gun owners,
who refused to give an exact no. they actully have,yet they can still purchase ammunition because the registered some of their firearms..
We had a excelent firearms educaction course that was mandatory
prior to this law..So good in fact, what exactly was changed in the course after the new law was implemented?
I have no problem with guns being registered,but Liberals obviosly didn't think this this thing through
and I'm hoping the Conservatives at least do something to get it right

Old 07-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

Persoanlly I don't ever remember any politicians saying they would end the licensing of gun owners because they never have. There is no slap in the face from anyone. I, a long time gun owner very much favor keeping the licesening, and safe storage part of current gun legistlation. Be honest we all know someone who should not be allowed to own guns. For example Hellsangels or other organized crime types.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're right tango, they haven't said they would stop licensing, and I don't think anyone here cares about the licensing part of it. My beef is with wasting my tax dollars on trying to keep track of how many non-restricted guns a licensed hunter owns, it is absolutely pointless and does nothing to deter crime. Think about how much law enforcement a billion dollars would pay for at our borders and in the high crime areas, instead they spent a billion on a partial list that only contains the names of our most lawful citizens (the ones that registered).
Old 07-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

What really jerks me is that my NDP MLA in northrn BC said he was apposed to the registry then voted with the Liberals to keep funding it.Now it seems the NDP party may appose the removal of the long gun registry. I did not vote for this man but he is my rep in Ottawa. It would seem Nathan Cullan is not a man of his word.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]