cross border shopping >

cross border shopping

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

cross border shopping

Old 03-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default cross border shopping

Hey guy's...anyone from Canada know if it's legal to bring back a scope from the states? I have heard all kinds of stories but just need the truth. Anyone done it legally. I'm heading down in may and want to bring one back. Any info would be appreciated!
Old 03-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cross border shopping

I’ve done it a number of times buying scopes and reloading components at Cabela’s. I would always claim my merchandise at the border without any problems. I’ve found out just recently that you can get charged for purchasing anything that relates to firearm and it can be pretty severe with time in jail for trying to smuggle. You can check for your self on this site. www.canadiangunnutz.com They have covered this subject quite often on the forum. Good luck...
Old 03-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

You have no problem on this side of the border as long as you declare it and pay the tax. The problem is on the States side, after 911 they won't allow non-citizens to purchase gun parts, ammo etc. The stores will sell you anything as they never check if you are or are not a US citizen. If for some reason you were stopped by the local police you might be in hot water being in possession ofand trying to exportgun parts!
Old 03-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed claim it pay the duty and applicable taxes should be legal to carry it across. How long are you going? Personal exemption may mean you pay nothing additional. I don't know for sure if this applies to firearm parts though, should check if your going to be down their for a week or something. If your flying you might consider mailing it home!!! I have heard weird rumors about stuff being confiscated from passengers travelling via air. Big Guy's post might warrant this reaction and may lead to more than just a loss of the item.....can you say full body search...ouch[:@]. Again rumors but a call to customs might be worth the time and effort.

Trailer, is there an allowed amount of powder you can bring back? Or is this just subject to the normal goods/duty/tax on declaration?

Anybody know if you can order scope rings and bases for theUS and get them shipped. Equally heard conflicting reports (like under 100 yes b/c of mail). So is this in sense breaking the law? I am looking for some warne QR rings for my ML and haven't found anyone in canada.Know of any?

JD hows the babe doing? (the boy too...)
Old 03-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeter, I had checked with Canadian Customs and you can bring back 16 lbs of powder but it’s not the Canadian Customs you have to worry about. It’s on the states side as Big Guy mentioned.

I have ordered some Conetrol base and rings and had no problem receiving them in the mail, but was told that they can be confiscated on state side because it’s being used on a firearm.

Every time I purchased from Cabela’s I never had a problem and they knew I came from Canada because they always asked for my phone number and acknowledged that I was from Winnipeg. Now I’m not saying that I wont purchase reloading components from the states but will be very careful coming home and will cross my fingers that I don’t get pulled over...
Old 03-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Well now I'm really scared...tried to go to gunnutz but I can't read any threadsAnyhow, so now it's the States who are unclear?? I looked on the Canadian customs website and they say nothing of scopes. I'm even more confused now. I can buy it, but I might get arrested at the store parking lot, but should be fine at hte border[:@][:@][:@]
Skeeter, we're going for 2 weeks so I was hoping to forgoe the duty. Just scared and confused, don't need the hassle with the family and all. Kids great, just some sniffles and crying. Thanks for asking!
Old 03-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

JD ... I wasn’t able to find find this info sooner for you but check this link out. http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...ad.php?t=62165 I just wanted you to be aware of what could happen and yes it does sound stupid...
Old 03-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

JD, I believe your allowed a bill each (1000CAD) before duty/tax mumbo jumbo for 7 days or longer visits. Are you driving?? If so I wouldn't worry to much about get yanked over and searched. If your flying then I'd make some calls and find out the real score.

Glad to hear..... But what about that truck...lol.

Thanks Trailer. I'll take my chances if i can't find some up in the north country.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck Guys...
Old 03-29-2006, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

Well I emailed Cabelas and this is what I got:
Good Evening Jim[/align]Thank you for the interest in Cabela's. I do sincerely apologize but we are not able to sell those items to customers who are wanting to take them through customs.Restrictions do not allow for those items with optics or electronics to be transferred across the border.[/align]Once again I am sorry for the inconvenience.[/align]Thank you[/align]Have a great evening[/align][align=left]Becky[/align][align=left]Lead Associate[/align][align=left]Cabela's Retail Information[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Skeeter, ya we're driving and we're allowed $750 cad. each including the baby as long as the stuff is for him. (Binoculars and a scope he'll use one day I'm sure any how I'll play it by ear with the scope, but may get some new binocs or a spotting scope. Ayone use pentax/browning or nikonbinos? I know you get what you pay for in optics but I still have a hard time believein I have to pay $2000 for glass. I'm ok with $500 or so. [/align][/align]

Quick Reply: cross border shopping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.