newfoundland moose? any ideas >

newfoundland moose? any ideas

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

newfoundland moose? any ideas

Old 03-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default newfoundland moose? any ideas

well i got a week off in september and im thinking about going. looks like a nice trip. anything to look for?
Old 03-26-2006, 10:47 AM

Default RE: newfoundland moose? any ideas

Dont know what your asking but I am going the week of sept 17th for a Newfi slam and am going with snowshoe lake. Ron the owner seems like a real good man and some of the other people on here gave him great recomandtions.I talked with about 12-15 other outfitters up there and he came off as the best and one of the cheaper ones good luck
Old 04-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went last October. Here's a list of things I feel you should know.

1. Go with the intentions that this is a meat hunt. Most bulls taken are not considered trophy.

2. Wear knee high rubber boots. Gortex boots get heavy as they get wet. I like my LaCrosse Alpha Burlys.

3. Be prepared to do lots and lots and lots and lots of walking. The walking is different up there. You sink in the ground with each step, requiring you to lift your leg higher for the next step. It wears you out quickly.

4. Do not cross the border with any NRA stuff on you or your vehicle. No window decals, no hats, nobumper stickers, etc... They will search your vehicle.

5. Take good rain gear. Cheap plastic rain gear will be ripped to shreds on the black spruce.

Have fun. You'll have a great time.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:27 PM

donm--you sure picked a good outfitter in Ron Hicks of snowshoe lake. i've been going up there since 1998. have a hunt planned for 2007. the guides know what they are doing and the cooking is fantastic, tell bernie i said hello. Don Hertz
Old 04-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Tell Bernie Frank Dattilio said hello too. Get ready for some fine home cooking.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I went last October. Here's a list of things I feel you should know.

1. Go with the intentions that this is a meat hunt. Most bulls taken are not considered trophy.

2. Wear knee high rubber boots. Gortex boots get heavy as they get wet. I like my LaCrosse Alpha Burlys.

3. Be prepared to do lots and lots and lots and lots of walking. The walking is different up there. You sink in the ground with each step, requiring you to lift your leg higher for the next step. It wears you out quickly.

4. Do not cross the border with any NRA stuff on you or your vehicle. No window decals, no hats, nobumper stickers, etc... They will search your vehicle.

5. Take good rain gear. Cheap plastic rain gear will be ripped to shreds on the black spruce.

Have fun. You'll have a great time.

This info will help us too. We are researching a moose, caribou, and bear hunt in Newfoundland for fall of 2007.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Ditto on Windwalkers post about having the right equipment and the difficult walking. I have been 3 years in a row for bou all with Ron at Snowshoe and it is a real blast with great cooking and fantastic guides. I wouldn't even consider going with anyone else.