Disgusting Rhinoceros Hunt >

Disgusting Rhinoceros Hunt

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Disgusting Rhinoceros Hunt

Old 01-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Disgusting Rhinoceros Hunt

In response to Tangozulu and Lanse_Douche_Douche: Your responses are really going nowhere.

And just a little FYI, elephant and rhino dart hunts are really not that expensive. I don't like to give numbers, because you can do the searches yourself. But I will say that they are not out of reach for most people who are on a safari hunt.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

You beat me to it Tango[8D]

I've got an idea for those Safari hunters who want to purchase an adrenaline rush. Why not have them hang upside down out of a chopper on a bungy cord while it chases the rhino. They could then get within the 15 yard "kill" zone without worrying about the charge, but with just as much danger (for the hunter, that is). The survival rate for rhinos involved in such"research" would then hopefully climb back up to 100%.

Lets re-define fishing to say.............. dropping the fisherman into a small pool with a filetknife. He will be sharing said pool with a 4000 lb unfed great white shark. Now theirs a show I'd watch.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, Vee Dee,

I don't know how my bungy cord suggestion makes any less sense than what has been described thus far. Maybe you could explain? I mean really, if people want to try to sneak up on rhinos and shoot them in the arse with a dart,then have to deal with a charge, then go for it as long as its legal. But, pardon me if there are some of us out here rolling our eyes.
And why don't you give us the price quote for this. I'll bet that I can arrange a sow-baiting expedition on my cousin Kenny's hog farm for much less.But professional back-up with the 458 will cost extra.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to pretent to roll your eyes like a teenage drama queen and compare shooting your cousins hogs to an elephant or rhino green hunt then that's your deal; but it's apples and oranges.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're the one coming across as a drama queen over some criticism ofa problematic TELEVISED event. In fact, maybe I'll call you Queen Vee[:'(]And you've suddenly become incapable of answering any questions regarding alternative forms of doing this or the cost involved.Or maybe you don't know. If not,maybe you could give me a quote on how much it wouldcost to fly to the Artic Circle and tease Musk Ox with a snowmobileand cattle prod, with someone backing me up with an elephant gun in case of a charge.Or how about going to Canada for a baby seal clubbing expedition. You know, the scientists can use the skinned carasses for scientific research and the local natives love seal meat. Of course, all of this would be televisedfor the greater glory of sports hunting.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now you're comparing a green hunt to clubbing a seal? When you come up with a valid argument I'll respond with a proper response.

As for your query on how much a green hunt will cost? No idea why you couldn't look this up yourself, but here is one quote from a well known outfitter in South Africa: A seven day rhino green hunt is $6500. A seven day elephant green hunt is $9500. Keep in mind these quotes are for seven day hunts.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

They're both legal. That's a good starting point for a comparison.

$6500? Does that include air fare and other expenses?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are both legal. Not only for legal for dart hunts, but also legal to kill. I do not believe the price quotes include lodging. But there are often daily rates associated with safari hunts and those daily rates would be included.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a little additive for you guys, JJHACK from Jesseshunting.com and huntingadventures.net has added a little insight on the subject:

"We have quite a lot of Rhino on our property and as a normal managment process we check their health often. We dart them and offer this "green hunt" to the clients on site when we need to do it. This is done to offset the cost of the project.

Here is a brief breakdown of the typical cost. However the exchange rates and other management operations that require a helecoptor or veternarian on the property at the same time play a part in the total cost.

Chopper and fuel for the day: 2000 bucks
Vet and drugs for the darts: 500 bucks
Loyds of London Insurance for the event 1500 bucks
PH cost 125 bucks for the day. per PH
Staff of helpers and trackers another 100 bucks or so.

So here you see there is about 4500 bucks in actual cost to dart one Rhino and perform the checks. This incudes zero profit for further research. Our dart hunts sell quickly for 5500 bucks and sometimes with a poor exchange rate get 6500 bucks.

It is very exciting and every bit as much a hunt if not more then using a bullet. I really don't see the down side. Our .22 blank powered darts have a 45 yard maximum range and usually we shoot about 30 -35 yards. The Rhinos we dart usually remain on their feet or slowly lower themselves to the ground after darting. On many occasions we must push them over when we get to them. In this way they can be a bit easier to control when drugged. Even if you don't give this much credibility from a hunting perspective it's an exciting process to be involved with. We have had many clients dart rhino from a small helecopter as well. The Chopper ride is every bit as exciting as the hunt itself. If looks as if the tree tops will hit your feet when buzzing over at 30-40mph. The Client stands on the skid outside the chopper with a body harness on which is strapped to the inside of the helecopter. Then the pilot flys over many times trying to speed match the rhino in between him coming in and out of the bush.

Last year we darted 16 of our Rhino. 8 were darted to check for pregnancy. All 8 were pregnant. We have a very healthy and strong population because we manage them properly and offer these kinds of hunts to fund the management.

More research on this would show you it's been a long time management tool with no related problems. We have been darting the biggest land animals alive for 20 years now. I have been certified for this work and darting them for over 10 years now. We have never lost a single animal or had to put one down. Like anything else there is a right way and a wrong way to do this. There are also many ways to cut corners and take chances. Once you dicipline yourself to do the job right, hire the right people for support and have a talented and experienced Chopper pilot on hand the problems are near zero. If you wanna dart one find me at www.HuntingAdventures.net

It may not be for everyone, however I have not yet seen a man sneak to within 30 yards of a group of rhino's and not have a rush of emotion and excitment. If you do this and feel nothing exciting you may need to find something other then hunting to do in your life! I have done it countless times and feel the shakes and the adrenilin every single time I do it, to this day. Most people have no real concept or idea what it's like to be 30 yards from an animal that size outside a zoo with no fence for protection.

Experience plays a big role in being able to have an opionion on this. I could sit here and type out how boring it must be to jump off a bridge with a bungie cord around my legs. However having never done it I would not embarass myself with that opinion."
Old 01-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like the part about many clients darting Rhinos from a chopper. In fact, the way they describe it isn't too far off of what i proposed. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Disgusting Rhinoceros Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.