Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Are F&G Laws the same in Quebec? >

Are F&G Laws the same in Quebec?

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Are F&G Laws the same in Quebec?

Old 01-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Are F&G Laws the same in Quebec?

No that is still the same no english signs.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ontario is also officially bilingual. Any province can be monolingual, French or Anglais.

Dan O.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:08 AM
Typical Buck

I have actually seen some exceptions to this.

Lennoxville, for example, is a town just south of Sherbrooke. Not sure if all, but certainly many, of their street signs are in English.

Being a newcomer to Canada, I'm am not entire verse in all the laws, but my understanding is that there is a Federal law that dictates all public signs must contain the french term. It does not stipulate English since the majority of Canada is already in English. In turn, the Quebec province made a law that stipulates all signs must be in French, along with a ton of other laws regarding the language such as an employee of a company in Quebec has the right to demand that his/her boss speak with them in French.

OK, so your next question should be "why"... This is where the things have gotten stirred up for me when I bring this type of issue up with my wife's family and friends. That said, the bottom line that I have observed is there is an incredible feeling of fear in Quebec that they will lose their heritage, culture and language unless they do anything and everything to preserve it. This is the primary driver for these laws. It's a tough problem which, in my opinion, generates a lot of contempt between alot of very very good people.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Okay, just so I am clear on this, all the other Canadian provinces are now officiallybilingual. For example, when I was in New Brunswick, i was under the impression that road signs had to be bilingual, school districts with a certain number of French familes had to offer bilingual education, andall government workers had to be bilingual as well.But, Quebec islegislatingpreferentialtreatment for French, or French-only into the present.Do I have this staight?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lanse; after checking you are correct that New Brunswick is the only "officially" bilingual province. Ontario apparently has only deemed areas of the province as bilingual:
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/offlang/chap5_1_e.asp

Canada is bilingual to the extent that all products sold must have bilingual labels and all federal government agencies must serve you anywhere in either language. Trudeau had a vision that only immigration from non english/french countries would secure the future of the Canada.

Dan O.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:11 AM

BIll 101 in Quebec mandates that all signs must be either in French only, or have French more prominently displayed than English. This is provincial legislation that contradicts the constitution of Canada, but is allowed under provincial use of the Notwithstanding clause, which allows short term renuable exceptions to the constitution if you don't mind coming off as a jackass, and intolerant of the rights of others.

This rule is enforced by provincial jackbooters who go around issueing tickets etc...

All this Fench and English stuff is getting more an more tenuous as increasing segments of the country speak neither language well.

The Conservative party, that has such a sensible line on guns and other maters, is in favour of more power to individual provinces and is in favour of the notwithstanding clause use on maters like gay mariage (me too). Which is why it is assumed there may be a basis for a minority Conservative, Quebec nationalist government federaly. It's always a nose-holding exercise up here, though the overall result isn't bad at all.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

Ossage wrote[All this Fench and English stuff is getting more an more tenuous as increasing segments of the country speak neither language well. ]that's what it all comes down to ..here in quebec french is the first language ,saddly anything else is what second hand citizens use..i have no idea what the futur holds for english speaking people .ps too old to move out ..
Old 02-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, this brings us full circle back to my original question. Quebec may not be officially semi-autonomous, but this seems to be the de facto case in terms of various things. Under those circumstances, would local game enforcement folks be operating under standard Canadian fish and game laws?
Old 02-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

I guess nobody here understands your questions then. There are no standard Canadian Fish & Game Laws. The only thing that might be considered standard is the Migratory Game Bird and even those seasons and limits vary province to province. Our Federal officers which are RCMP, have jurisdiction anywhere in Canada. Each province has it's own provincial police force, and the larger towns have their own city police, with jurisdictions the same as federal, state and local in the US. We just don't have county 'Buford Pussers' running around with a bunch of deputies. All of the Conservation Officers in each province have the authority to enforce Federal game laws as well as their own Provincial game laws. And these differ from province to province just like in the States. If you get stopped by a Conservation Officer in the Province of Quebec he will speak French or English to you. I found very few that couldn't speak fluent English. Either way, they will get their point across to you. If I lived in the state of New York and was going to Texas to hunt, I'd be checking the Texas state game laws. Because even I know they are not the same in Texas as inNew York. I enclosed a thread in one of my other posts to you that has all the Quebec hunting and fishing regulations, both Federal and Provincial.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:49 PM

Some day youll have to be careful about which sherebrooke your talking about. I go to school in Sherebrooke N.S a beautyful place for a vacation, you can bring the whole family. there a completly reconstructed village from the 17-1800's with actors playing out daily life in that time frame. And for you shooters we have a outdoors range nearby its a 100 yard four lane rifle range along side a 2 lane 25 yard hangun range. then theres the Sherebrooke in quebec lol it makes for interesting french classes lol.