Newfoundland Woodland Caribou >

Newfoundland Woodland Caribou

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Newfoundland Woodland Caribou

Old 11-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Newfoundland Woodland Caribou

I just returned from what has become an annual caribou hunt on the "rock". We drove up from Vt with a party of 4 guys and a 8X4 foot trailer. We all scored and had a really great time. Woodland Caribou are large bodied but have smaller racks than the baron ground sub species. Newfoundland is about the only place left where you can hunt them. They are really beautiful animals with a varied coloration and long white mane. The native Newfis are all very friendly and the land is unspoiled and beautiful.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Newfoundland Woodland Caribou

Another view.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:13 AM

CI, congrats on the hunt!
Old 11-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Very nice CI...

Who was your outfitter? I think I told you I went to northern Quebec in September... Great experience, but was a little bit disturbed by the weight allowances on the way back. We got about 65-80 lbs boned meat from each caribou, but left the ribs and neck and a little other meat (I would say about 15-25 lbs). I plan on going back, but I think I'll take the extra time to take the train from Sept Iles so I don't get kicked from the extra meat.

Can I assume you took the ferry from North Sydney into Port aux Basque?

Congrats again.

Dan
Old 11-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Hi Dan,
We used Snowshoe Lake Hunting and Fishing out of Millertown NL.
[email protected]
This has been my 3rd year in a row with them and the trip is always perfect. We left North Hero Vt on Sat at 4am and arrived in North Sydney NS around 8Pm. We took the midnight ferry and got a cabin and had a great night sleep. We docked at Port Aux Basques around 7Sunday morning and did the7 hoursto Snowshoe Lake. I towed a uhaul trailer because we had 4 in my truck and needed the extra room for the meat, antlers and all the gear. We all ended up with around 150 pounds of meat from 1 animal each. The Woodland Caribou are quite large and the outfitter takes the quarters to a butcher in a town called Buchans. When we leave camp the following Saturday we drive to the butcher and pick up the meat. It is all processed (de boned and cut into steaks etc.), packaged and frozen. One processed animal fills a 156 qt cooler. The meat was still frozen when we returned home. The woodland sub species doesn't really migrate like the baron ground bou does. It is all spot a stalk and getting to them before they vanish is a real trick. Lots of difficult walking in a pristine environment….Frank

Old 11-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

That's a nice bull. Did you have any luck on moose or was it a caribou hunt only? I'm thinking of that combo hunt in the future.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Colorado Bob

That's a nice bull. Did you have any luck on moose or was it a caribou hunt only? I'm thinking of that combo hunt in the future.
The outfitter offers both Caribou and Moose hunting. Many guests do a combo hunt or elect to buy an additional caribou or moose tag. The price for a 2 animal hunt (either species) is comparable to a guided Quebec hunt for 2 baron ground caribou from a cost standpoint. I see lots of moose at home and really don't care to hunt for them in NL. Something about a large white colored animal really gets me going. One animal each year is enough for me from both a cost and meat issue. They are really wonderful eating and lots of fun to hunt. Two of the guys I went with got SCI book woodland bous. If anyone is interested in a Newfi hunt for either moose or woodland caribou I would strongly urge you to contact Ron Hicks at Snowshoe. They have an unbelievable success rate on both species and the food is great. The experience keeps me returning each year and it keeps getting better for me.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Beautiful 'bou. Hope to get myself out east and take a trophy like yours one day.

CONGRATS!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:05 AM

Congrats on the nice caribou!
Old 11-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

CI,

Here are a couple of pics from the Quebec Caribou I harvested back in September... Their late because I just today have figured an alternative way of posting pics and was having problems doing it on HN for some reason...

Cheers

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2/DSC00082.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2/DSC00083.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2/DSC00095.jpg

Quick Reply: Newfoundland Woodland Caribou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.