Newfoundland Woodland Caribou

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Newfoundland Woodland Caribou

Old 12-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Newfoundland Woodland Caribou

ORIGINAL: donm

please give me any info you all can on hunting NL cost of hunts the ferry ride lodges ect. thanks
DonM nice talking to you tonight. Good luck with your decision to hunt the Rock. If you do go you won't be sorry. It is a blast and Ron and his family will take good care of you and your party...Frank Dattilio
Old 12-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

ORIGINAL: Colorado Bob

That's a nice bull. Did you have any luck on moose or was it a caribou hunt only? I'm thinking of that combo hunt in the future.
The outfitter offers both Caribou and Moose hunting. Many guests do a combo hunt or elect to buy an additional caribou or moose tag. The price for a 2 animal hunt (either species) is comparable to a guided Quebec hunt for 2 baron ground caribou from a cost standpoint. I see lots of moose at home and really don't care to hunt for them in NL. Something about a large white colored animal really gets me going. One animal each year is enough for me from both a cost and meat issue. They are really wonderful eating and lots of fun to hunt. Two of the guys I went with got SCI book woodland bous. If anyone is interested in a Newfi hunt for either moose or woodland caribou I would strongly urge you to contact Ron Hicks at Snowshoe. They have an unbelievable success rate on both species and the food is great. The experience keeps me returning each year and it keeps getting better for me.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:53 PM

Frank and Don thanks for all the help We have booked with Ron and are already counting the days!!! Sept 17 th Liked the way he had no problum with my wife coming to film. I am going to try for a Newfi slam. Still having trouble finding out about the passport thing seems like even the gov. dont know my wife talked to them yesterday one said yes the other no ohh well thats all part of the planning and the fun. thanks again
Old 12-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: donm

Frank and Don thanks for all the help We have booked with Ron and are already counting the days!!! Sept 17 th Liked the way he had no problum with my wife coming to film. I am going to try for a Newfi slam. Still having trouble finding out about the passport thing seems like even the gov. dont know my wife talked to them yesterday one said yes the other no ohh well thats all part of the planning and the fun. thanks again
Dood luck Don. I know you will have a blast at Snowshoe. Tell Bernie,John and Ron I said hi....Frank
Old 12-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Champlain Islander,

Does your outfitter have a website?

You mention tough walking, hate to admit this but we're having a little trouble with the old pump. Would this hunt be too much for someone with some minor heart impairment?

Do you have a ballpark estimate of the costs?

Thanks!
Bob
Old 12-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Bob the outfitter doesn't have a web site but is on email [email protected]

My hunts have always involved strenuous walking but that is the hunt I asked for. I have been in camp when they accommodated some older gentlemen and on another occasion a person who was quite large. The game is plentiful and the guides are always skilled at matching the hunt to the person's ability. They have ATV's, Argos, boats and trucks to get clients into good areas. If you contact them via email they can quote their 06 rates. My past hunts have averaged around $2500 US for a 5 day 1 species hunt. I can guarantee that if anyone uses Snowshoe they will come away with a good hunt and great times from the Hicks family. Take it from CI, this is an incredible value in a guided hunt with all the fixings. Home cooked food too.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went moose hunting in Newfoundland this past October. It was like stepping into another world. I went with Patey and Sons Outfitting. There were 3 of us. We all got a moose.

If you go, make sure you take take knee high rubber boots. I have LaCrosse Alpha Burly boots.Get something similar. DON"T TAKE GORTEX TYPE BOOTS. When they get wet they get heavy. The guides told us how those boots really wear down your legs when they get wet and really tire out their clients.

Be prepared to walk several miles a day. The walking is unlike anything you have ever walked down here in the US. You sink in a few inches every step. It is like walking on a wet sponge all day.

Old 12-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice moose Windwalker.I second the Alpha Burley boots. I always bring two pair just in caseI cut one. People don't believe how strenuous the walking is. Spot and stalk is a real tough grind all day every day. Nothing like the Rock though. I'll be back again that's for sure.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Champ! Nice Caribou! We didn't see many caribou on our trip. The weather was rainy and foggy a few days. Had a great time though.

I tried to explain to everyone, when we got back, how hard it was to walk up there. Between that black spruce and the bogs, I don't know what was worse.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:52 AM

Nice Caribou!! I just booked yesterday a moose hunt in Newfoundland for Oct. of 2006 so exicted. How was the ride in all from Vt. I am from Connecticut hartford area and we will be driving so i am trying to figure out on how many vacation days i will need. I need a hunting Job.

thanks.

Quick Reply: Newfoundland Woodland Caribou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.