Canadian Whitetails >

Canadian Whitetails

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Canadian Whitetails

Old 10-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Canadian Whitetails

JD what would you consider ideal temps. for rut activity and sitting all day? I know how important this is!
Old 10-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Early in, as you knowthe rut happens regardless of the weather so IMO anytime of the day could be good when it comes to this time frame. Ideal would be in -10c range things just seem to be happening when she staysa bitfrosty. Snow helps emensely as the does must work harder to eat and this usually means travel. Personally in deep transition areas the midday hours of 10-2 always seem to be the producer. If your more in the open the usual low light hours but with the rut you just never know. Honestly couldn'tcount how many times I have caught bucks moving in the wide open at high noon.

So be ready and the one thing you can't control is the weather so you'll just have to ride what you get. My partner took a 200 NT 4 years ago it was warm, no snow and just after noon when he caught the big boy and another nicebuck trailing a hot doe in the wide open. The only way to kill a big buck is be in the field, you just never know when the stars & planets will line up for you.

Good luck
Old 10-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

early...I like it in the -5 to -15 for action as well as comfort. It's true as Skeeter says youcan see them anytime, but I have found that when the temp's drop they are really travelling alot more during all hours of the day. When it's warm the action usually seems to drop drastically. Also, too cold just makes for downright bad tree stand hunting, because no matter what you wear, you aren't moving so the chills set in after a few hours and that's not very fun. Blinds are way better in really cold conditions for me. But I definately agree...fresh snow is your best hunting partner! It makes them move, shows you recent travel patterns and is great for tracking a wounded animal.
JDinAB
Old 10-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

This should get the blood pumping even though not a whitetail it is a saskatchewan buck that was harvested this fall with the bow. It has been rumored a big NT Mulie that would score very near the current archery world record (274 7/8) was taken not to far from where I live. Well here is the picture of that rumored buck. The score is not really known for sure but 274NT seems to be the number associated...either way it is a WOWer!!!

Old 10-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Skeeter you playin with that picture enhancer againI bet he's just a forkhorn you added a couple of points to. WOW that's just silly!!! I can only imagine what's going through the guy's mind as he's drawing back on a pig like that. Do you know the guy or just got the pic from someone who does?
JDinAB
Old 10-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the info guys. I'm fortunate to have the advice of residents! I'm sure I'll have other questions so thanks again.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

JD, received the picture today and adjusted accordingly..lol. I have no clue who the lucky archer is but it was harvested less than 1 hour from s'toon...at least so the story goes anyway. Your right he is a pig but looking at the picture this boy was taken right near the opener (start of sept.) and could almost bet the manholding onto this hawg knew heit before ever gripping the bow and tugging the string. Mulies in this part of the country tend to show themselves during the summer, the key is getting on them early and not applying pressure. Obviously he accomplished this goal.

JD, did you say it was snowing in cowtown? It hasn't looked to good so far, cool today and calling for -9 tonight but they are also saying close to +20 by next tuesday. I can live with the temp but we have had lots of wind and weird ones at that for this time of year. That really screws me especially when you bank on Northern flows and the ever popular NW. Darn weatherman & mother naturedrive me crazy!! Oh well its hunting season so just maybe christmas will come early this year[8D]!

early in, no troubles. If you think of anything fire away. Once again have a great trip and best of luck.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep!

Your right there's no deer in Canada .LMAO

nubo
Old 10-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

earlyin
here is a link to play with for an AVERAGE TEMP for your hunting dates

http://209.82.48.85/climate/historical.asp

as for big deer, when you see a deer and go Holy Sh%* then its a big deer. Rack out past his nose and wider then his ears..thats a150+ deer..........you better be shootn!!!!!! unless your lookn for A Big BOONER 180+

AL

Old 10-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Nicholal, that's a handy link. I'll be using it!

Quick Reply: Canadian Whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.