Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Binocular Design- Hunter's Feedback Wanted >

Binocular Design- Hunter's Feedback Wanted

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Binocular Design- Hunter's Feedback Wanted

Old 09-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Spike

Default Binocular Design- Hunter's Feedback Wanted

Hello, I am representing a design team currently working on new binoculars suited for hunters. If you have experience using hunting binoculars you could help give us valuable insight into any of the following:

- What are issues/complaints you have had with previous binoculars?
- What are positive features/experiences you have had with hunting binoculars?
- What conditions (terrain, weather, light) do you often use binoculars in?
- What price point do you look for in binoculars?
- Have you broken or damaged binoculars, if so how?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and will be considered in the future design, thanks!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Issues/complaints:

Positive features/experiences:
I wear corrective eyeglasses. I like the rubber cups that I can place against my glasses and still see through the binoculars, for example by rolling down the rubber eye cups.

Conditions:
Cold weather: 15+ degrees F up to 50+ degrees F. Falling snow, blowing snow. Low light performance is important to me, though not that much of my hunting occurs in low light. When you need it, though, you need it. Therefore I buy binoculars with sufficiently large objective lenses for the magnification of the binoculars. I tend to restrict my magnification to 8x when buying binoculars because I use them holding them steady in my hands. I can't hold 10x steady enough by hand to actually see the greater resolution offered by 10x over 8x.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

- What are issues/complaints you have had with previous binoculars?
My Optolyth 9X63 are heavy and big.
My Pentax 7X50 Field, work well in daylight, but washout in low light, my guess is it has something to do with a UV coating.

- What are positive features/experiences you have had with hunting binoculars?
My Optolyth work really well in low light or night, I can pick out things with my Optolyth that my Kahles rifle scope misses.

- What conditions (terrain, weather, light) do you often use binoculars in?
I tend to use my Optolyth, when sitting, low light and night Hog hunting. My Pentax, daylight hunting thickets and brush. The Pentax will fog, Optolyth won't, in extreme cold weather.

- What price point do you look for in binoculars?
I tend to buy higher end stuff and buy it once. But there is a price diminishing return point, double the price doesn't mean double the usefulness.

- Have you broken or damaged binoculars, if so how?
I broke one pair, it dropped two feet to the asphalt. A prism came unglued.

A few features I'd like to see; is 1, an integrated tripod mount, standard camera type mount. 2, objective sun shades to help avoid lens flashing game. 3, is a carrier (hunters strap) that is fitted to the bynos and isn't way over priced. Maybe a simple range reticle.

A few inexpensive and easily procured add ons would IMO increase sales, call it customer relations. Maybe also specify low light coatings and daylight coatings for different models, Bynos are generally too expensive for trial and error. Maybe a small pamphlet on Bino basics and techniques for the beginner.