Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Scope recommendation >

Scope recommendation

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scope recommendation

Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scope recommendation

I won a Kimber 7mm-08 lightweight rifle with a 22" barrel and was thinking about putting a lightweight scope on and was looking for suggestions.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

The Leupold vx6 line of scopes are really light. The one I looked through was clear and bright as well. Might have bought it but I was looking for a ffp scope. Seeing as you have a Kimber rifle I would look for a top of the line scope. Sadly they are usually heavier because of the better glass. This was what surprised me about the Leupold.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

This one...

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vari-x-3-9x28mm-compact-rifle-scope-with-gloss-black-finish-and-duplex-reticle.html?_iv_code=LU-RS-VX2-3-9x33-110819&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campai gn=plusbox-beta&gclid=CNCu-YSX6NICFQ94fgodn8gPQw

It's only 9 ounces.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think maybe it comes down to what your opinion and needs are on an optic
if you want to keep whole thing LIGHT and have good eye's and OK with smaller power optic's
the compact scopes from leupold and Burris are great scope
had them on several light weight rifles over the yrs, never a lick of problems
But as I got older and my eye's not so well, I prefer a little more optic these days and will not complain about a few extra OZ's for the better glass and more power to over look game better
MY current custom light weight 7mm08, on a rem model 7 action, wears a
leupold Vx 3 in a 4.5x14 -40mm with the custom turret to my load
looks a little big on the rifle, but its tac driver sub 1/2 moa rifle
been from PA to Alaska a few times with me
I think it weighs like 4.5 oz more than the 3x9x leupold ultra light I had on it before this, which honestly for ME helps balance the rifle more having more weight in the middle, I don;t notice it all that much
Old 03-21-2017, 03:13 PM
Spike

It might depend on where you hunt and how far your shots are likely to see. If you are hunting in the Southeast, you may not need capability to shoot beyond about 200 yards. If you are out west, you may want a scope that lets you shoot another 150 yards or so. The Kimber deserves a fine scope.

On my finer rifle, I use a 40mm, 3x9, Leopold VX-2 with a CDS system that is matched to the rifle and the round I shoot. It allows you to dial the range into the scope and hold dead-on. On a lighter, shorter-range-use rifle of the same caliber, I use a Nikon BDC scope with known range rings based on the round I shoot.

If you are likely to shoot in lower light scenarios (early dawn, or late dusk) the objective lens size makes a real difference in the light gathering capability of the scope. If you get a lightweight scope that has lower quality glass, with a smaller objective lens, in order to reduce size and weight...it will not serve you well at the dark-end of the early or late shooting window.

Last edited by paveglass; 03-21-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

It wasn't mentioned how much he is looking to spend on a scope. A kimber as mentioed should have a real nice scope, There are some decent priced Swaro scopes. Leica has some in a decent price range and zeis has their conquest line all would be a nice match for a Kimber rifle. This is if you are wanting to spend around the thousand dollar mark. It sounds like a lot but the glass is some of the best out there.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40

2.5-8x33
Old 03-22-2017, 03:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Leupold. Problem solved.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

i have Leupolds on all my deer rifles right now. I have a 3 x9 on my browning A bolt 270 and a straight 2 1/2 power on my 35 marlin 35 cal. I did recently buy a Meopta 6-18-50 for a 243 that I am putting together for groundhog hunting.

I did just come back from Gander mountain and I compared a 2 x 7 Leupold at $215 to 3 x 9 x 40 Vortex at $189. I set both scopes on 3 power inside the store and the Leupold. was much more clearer.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 270sniper
I won a Kimber 7mm-08 lightweight rifle with a 22" barrel and was thinking about putting a lightweight scope on and was looking for suggestions.

I was talking to my wife about honesty in Government.

Mainly, because most of the intelligence agencies have their jock straps hanging around their ankles right now.

So, is this thread really about which scope do "I" own ??

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-23-2017 at 07:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.