Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
10x42 binos choices >

10x42 binos choices

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

10x42 binos choices

Old 12-28-2016, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Default 10x42 binos choices

Alright. I'm back at the trying to talk myself into buying another pair of binos. I have an older pair of Nikon Monarchs and a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks.

The Nikons are much brighter and crisper but the dang eye cups keep breaking. Its very sandy where I mainly use them. The Vortex imo does not do well in low light although the quality seems to be better.

The ones I am considering are either the Leupold BX3 Mojave or the Cabelas intensity. The Leupolds are on sale right now so it kinda sparked my interet.

Anyone have any reviews you can share with either of them?
Old 12-28-2016, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I were looking for another pair, I would look at Fujinon. They make Binos for the military in several countries, including the US and have a good reputation. I have a pair of their rubber armored 7X50 Marine binocs with a built in compass, when you look through them you see the compass heading of the direction you are looking.They are the clearest Binos I have ever looked through much better than my buddies Steiners. Just google Fujinon Binoculars and check them out.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use Nikon Monacch 10X 40mm - 10 years old now (still very happy with them !).

If you are talking about the lens "covers" - I cut them off (ocular end) the minute I brought them.

I use a shoulder harness & have no time to take off lens covers while in the field.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I use Nikon Monacch 10X 40mm - 10 years old now (still very happy with them !).

If you are talking about the lens "covers" - I cut them off (ocular end) the minute I brought them.

I use a shoulder harness & have no time to take off lens covers while in the field.

I use the crooked horn harness that keeps them close to my chest. The eye piece broke on mine. The part you adjust to put your eye closer or further from the lens. Sand I guess got in the threads and it didn't take much pressure trying to adjust them when they broke. I bought them new but never registered them so Nikon will not cover the warrantee. But they will repair them at my cost lol. Lesson learned about registering them I guess
Old 12-28-2016, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Probably worth getting them repaired by Nikon IMO.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Based on your choices listed above, it looks like you are trying to stay in that $200-500 range. Is that correct or are you willing to go up a little?
Old 12-28-2016, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Based on your choices listed above, it looks like you are trying to stay in that $200-500 range. Is that correct or are you willing to go up a little?

You would be correct. My budget doesn't allow for me to go much higher at least until the kids are out of school and stuff starts to get paid off lol.

The diamondbacks are real easy on the eyes when glassing all day but they lack the clarity that I get from the Monarchs. I was considering the Monarch 5 until I seen the sale on the Leupolds. 249$ when reg price is 400$. I just haven't had the time to compare them.

I'll prob still send my Nikons off to be repaired. I'll just wait till after the season as I am still using them. If the eye piece fell off however I would be stuck
Old 12-28-2016, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Getting your Nikons repaired would be your cheapest route to go. If you were able to stretch you budget another $100, You could consider the Vortex Viper binos (10x42) and they are definitely a step up to the next level of glass. My wife is getting into hunting and we have been looking through several binos at Cabelas, Sportsman's, etc. Both she and I noticed a substantial bump up in the Vortex Viper binos and yes, we also looked through the Diamondbacks. My wife likes the size, clarity and just plain feel of the Vipers. She said they even beat out my 25-year-old Swarovski 7x30's for clarity and smoothness of focusing, etc. And that's saying a lot.

You got me curious so I just looked up the Vortex Viper 10x42's on Amazon and they are on sale right now at $457.83. That is a very healthy discount as the normal retail price is $600. Dang it, I may have to make a last minute Amazon order now.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I guess the wife is getting a slightly late Christmas present of the Vipers. We have Amazon Prime with 2-day free shipping and they're not collecting any tax. $457.83 out the door to our front door.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:16 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I bought the Vortex 10x42 Vipers and have not been sorry at all.
Toss in a S4 bino harness and you are golden.
JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.