Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Sig Sauer Kilo Rangefinder >

Sig Sauer Kilo Rangefinder

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Sig Sauer Kilo Rangefinder

Old 08-31-2016, 11:57 AM
Spike

Default Sig Sauer Kilo Rangefinder

Has any one used one of the new Sig Sauer Kilo Rangefinders? The Optic Zone has a good price on one and I was thinking about finally purchasing one.

http://theopticzone.com/product/sig-...hite-sok16701/
Old 08-31-2016, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got mine at Cabelas on a Black Card member event (or whatever they call those of us who are foolish enough to spend too d@mned much on their cabela's card) for $399. Has been as fast and accurate as my Leica 1200 and 1600, which both cost something around $650-700 when I got them if I remember right.

Optic is very clear, the red display seems like it would wash out your eyes, but it doesn't, and it's a HUGE improvement for low light visibility over my Bushnell 1000's (not to mention nice being 7x instead of 4x or 5x). Haven't found anything I don't like about it yet, but I don't ask my range finders to do anything except tell me range, angle, and synthetic range.

Nice and compact, kinda like the lens being recessed. I was going to buy another 1600 to replace my 1200 and sell it off, but I might sell both and buy another couple of Sig's. I've ranged 1800yrds on treelines, picked out coyotes and deer between 800-1200yrds. Best in its price range I've found, have Leica, Nikon, Leup, and bushnell's between my buddies and I - I like the Sig a lot.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:41 AM
Spike

Thanks Nomercy!
Old 09-02-2016, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rangefinders sure got expensive

since I learned range finding at a 3D archery range with my eyeballs.
Recheck the eyes on hikes. Would check a rifle by setting up he rifle to shoot a couple of inches high. Never did make one of those 800 yard shots some seem to talk about all the time.
Using a muzzleloader on groundhogs must have lead me astray. I had 50 yard shots down pat.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

All the reviews on the sig kilo are very good. It's on my list to buy sometime before november....
-Jake
Old 09-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Nomercy, How is it up close? Can it be used for archery as well? All the reviews mainly adress it's long range capability.
-Jake
Old 09-02-2016, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jake,

I expect the reviews all focus on long range stuff because that's the unique part of the feature set for its price - it has a remarkably long range, and remarkably far non-reflective range for its price point.

But it does have to work at short ranges too. It has two modes, like most laser RF's these days, Line Of Sight "LOS" which is the true distance to the target, and Angle Modified Range "AMR" which does angular correction. AMR only really makes sense at shorter ranges for most guys, unless you're mountain hunting.

Compared to my Bushnell units, it's a lot faster, and will come into short ranges a lot better. I have trouble getting down to 5yrds on my Bushnells, usually only 7-8yrds will read. The Sig reads down to about 4.6yrds reliably - which is something I never noticed I didn't have in other units; Decimal places!! Playing with it tonight, it read 9.4yrds to the wall, and 8.3yrds to the front of my work bench - which is 40" deep (1.11yrds). My wife measured it out with a 100ft tape for me and she got 28' 4" from the wall to the front of the unit (should have been 28' 2.5", maybe Mrs. Mercy slacked the tape a bit), so best we can tell, it's accurate to within a few inches at short ranges.

One thing I wish it DID have, although I never use it, so I can't say it matters - on my Bushnell units even, the angle corrected display outputs the corrected range, the angle, and the line of sight range, all in one display. It's a boatload of info and can be confusing if you're not used to the Bushnell display, and I only ever use the angle corrected range anyway, but it'd sure be nice if SIG included at least the angle on the AMR display. It's fast enough to change back and forth between LOS and AMR, I don't think it'll be much of an issue in the field if I ever decide I need both, instead of just the corrected range.

The autobrightness AND manual brightness option is nice. The auto seems to work really well so far, but it's nice to be able to modify the brightness manually if I want.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Good info thanks. Sounds like it does anything I, and almost anyone else, would need it to do.
-Jake
Old 09-23-2016, 04:03 AM
Spike

Well I got my Sig Sauer rangefinder and have been playing around with it. I think this is the best rangefinder out there right now. It is fast and accurate. I would highly recommend it to any one that is looking for a rangefinder.

Just a good word for The Optic Zone. They were great to deal with. The lady that took my order was nice and the order was received in a couple of days. Highly recommend them also.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I save the money

I don't spend a dime on a rangefinder. Learned how to judge the distance by participating in 3D archery events, where rangefinders were prohibited. For rifle, set up the scope to set up within four inches, plus or minus, on hits, out to 300 or so yards, if longer shots were expected.
The old ways in hunting, sure saved money. New ways find ways to spend, spend, and spend.
The longer I hunt, the cheaper it seems to get.
I saved some money on winter gear last year for a hiking friend of myself and me. It would be embarrassing to tell. But not for me to do. I sure love to save money. The hiking buddy learned last year and this year. I saved so much, I bought both the gear.

Last edited by Valentine; 10-24-2016 at 03:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.