Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Crooked reticle picture on scope >

Crooked reticle picture on scope

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Crooked reticle picture on scope

Old 10-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Spike

Default Crooked reticle picture on scope

Several years ago, a fellow I worked with, fell upon hard times. He offered to sell me a VERY nice Ruger Mark ll in .223, which I gladly accepted. His optics on this were a no frills Tasco Lumina 3x9x40, with a tv reticle. I knew when I bought it, the sight picture was off, but didn't pay much attention to it as I thought maybe he would buy it back when he was a bit more financially stable. Well, he didn't and it's been sitting in my safe for the past 8 years. Found a cheap box of shells yesterday and thought I'd put a few rounds thru it. Well heres the deal. The TV screen picture as you look thru the scope is off. WAY OFF. Normally, the view would be wide, left to right. This one is turned past 90 degrees so the view is long going from top to bottom. Actually, it runs more like from the 10 oclock position tot he 4 oclock position.

Before you say, check your mounting, the scope is mounted properly. The top turret is on top, the side on on the side. The scope name is on the side. The scope is NOT canted at all, yet the view thru the lens is off the charts whacked. This scope will be coming off and replaced with a higher end scope, but if there is a way to correct this, I'd like to know. Perhaps use it on a .22 or something down the road. I tried to remove the ocular assembly to see if there were some internal adjustments, but it would only back out so far till it stopped. No change in the view.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

which side is the windage adjustment on? or is the eyepiece turned, try straightening it out.
RR
Old 10-30-2013, 03:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
which side is the windage adjustment on? or is the eyepiece turned, try straightening it out.
RR
Morning RR. Windage is on the right hand side, elevation on top. I've turned the eyepiece with no effect on reticle.

Is it possible that the reticle itself is loose, and that it has rotated inside?

If you were to draw intersecting lines thru the scope, the lines that run thru the elevation knob would go perfectly up and down, the windage left to right, but the line that would run thru the reticle would go from approx the 10 oclock to the 4 oclock position.

Like I said, its not a high end scope AND its made in commiville China. Perhaps its just a defective one. Gonna look at it again tonight and if I can't figure it out, I'm gonna dissect it, aka, rip that sob apart.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by FungusFinder
Is it possible that the reticle itself is loose, and that it has rotated inside?
Sounds like that's exactly what happened. Scopes are made up of several lenses, and it's likely that the lens that the reticle is on (or the reticle itself, if it's not etched) came loose and rotated. You can take it apart to see how it works, but I wouldn't count on it ever being accurate again.

I've had a few Tasco scopes and currently have one on a .22 mag, and they certainly aren't the highest quality, but they get the job done for cheap. But if that gun is as nice as you say it is, maybe this is the perfect chance to upgrade it.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

The fix for Trasco scopes is to remove them..shove them into the ground really hard and fill them full of mud so they will go further when you throw them.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by edwardCVAmason
The fix for Trasco scopes is to remove them..shove them into the ground really hard and fill them full of mud so they will go further when you throw them.

Well for this one, I think you might be right
Old 11-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Spike

Does it have that little ring a bit further than the front of eye piece? I had one do that and I was able to unscrew a couple things and then straighten the crosshairs back.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Freerorbust
Does it have that little ring a bit further than the front of eye piece? I had one do that and I was able to unscrew a couple things and then straighten the crosshairs back.
Im sure that is equally as effective as sticking it down in the mud, chucking it up and and throwing it several hundred yards downrange.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Spike

It worked for a short bit but I ultimately bought a new scope lol
Old 11-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Freerorbust
It worked for a short bit but I ultimately bought a new scope lol
Good move ! Was just busting your chops BTW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.