Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Angle compensating rangefinder really necessary?? >

Angle compensating rangefinder really necessary??

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Angle compensating rangefinder really necessary??

Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Spike

Default Angle compensating rangefinder really necessary??

I am in the market for a new rangefinder, I don't really want to spend much money, but I was wondering if the new angle compensating rangefinders are really needed, I do very little to no hunting from a tree stand. I will be mainly for bowhunting deer and turkeys from a ground blind. Should I buy one of these??
Old 04-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

I have the Nikon Riflehunter 550..really enjoy it. Simple to operate..it angle compensates..you may never need it-but you have it if you need it.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JCarver81
I am in the market for a new rangefinder, I don't really want to spend much money, but I was wondering if the new angle compensating rangefinders are really needed, I do very little to no hunting from a tree stand. I will be mainly for bowhunting deer and turkeys from a ground blind. Should I buy one of these??
Potentially helpful, yes. Necessary, no. How do you think all of those deer taken back (years ago) fell to man's weapons? Just more gizmos and gadgets.Only you can decide if it's worth it.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I "second" Ridge Runner ... only when confronted with a truly steep angle and at the same time a long enough distance that the arc must be compensated for. I have one that I bought mainly for archery hunting from a tree stand (about 25' off the ground), but frankly have seldom ranged the game. Usually there is not time nor do I want to risk the movement necessary to range. I'll range a few spots as soo as practical and go from there. I have used a range finder while hunting in the wide open spaces of eastern Montana. I am terrible at judging distances past about 250 yards. So my rangefinder comes in handy. I have never been confronted with a severe angle gun shot. I guess an angle compensation might help. I'd trust it to.