Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
quality vs price vs necessity >

quality vs price vs necessity

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

quality vs price vs necessity

Old 05-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Spike

Default quality vs price vs necessity

Howdy all,

I'm looking to purchase a spotting scope- it's primary use will be too see .22 caliber holes at distances up to 300 yards at the range. I've been doing a bit of shopping, and as you already know- the prices range from less than $100 to several thousand dollars for some of the high class scopes. My question is- how much clarity/quality to I NEED in a spotting scope for it to do what I need it to? In kind of a lateral sense to that question also- how much will I have to spend to get a scope that will do what I need it to? thanks
Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look here & use "shop by price".

Almost "any" (45X min) spotting scope will do, for what you want to use it for.................300 Yards

Use shoot-N-C targets

http://www.opticsplanet.net/spottingscopes.html
Old 05-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Look here & use "shop by price".

Almost "any" (45X min) spotting scope will do, for what you want to use it for.................300 Yards

http://www.opticsplanet.net/spottingscopes.html
Key word there- almost. A friend of mine has a burris (not sure what model) spotting scope which I had used on one of our last trips to the range. Had a good tripod, but the clarity was absolutely horrible. I had to back it out to 20x, then focus to even see .30 cal holes at 100 yds. Maybe that was a fluke- who knows.

Use shoot-N-C targets
That's why I wanted to buy a spotting scope- so I wouldn't have to- those things are expensive!