Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Zeiss vs Leupold >

Zeiss vs Leupold

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Zeiss vs Leupold

Old 05-09-2009, 09:36 AM

Default Zeiss vs Leupold

I am in the process of upgrading scopes on my 257, 300 wby, 280 remington and 338 win mag. I am looking at zeiss conquest 3-9x40 or leupold vx3 2.5-8x36. Seems like all the magazines always show rifles with leupold. However, after going to store and looking at both the zeiss looks like it has better optics. What does eveybody think about these two scopes and do you think these are good choices for my rifles. They are both about the same price online. Thanks in advance for help.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Zeiss vs Leupold

Nothing wrong with either scope, really. However, the Zeiss does have better glass, and costs about the same. Something is definitely wrong with that picture!

My feelings about Leupold are you can never go wrong choosing one, but you will spend too much money for what you get. You can spend less for equal (sometimes better) performance and you can easily exceed Leupold performance for the same price (see your Zeiss Conquest, above).

It really depends on your definition of value, I guess. Safe...but overpriced vs. lesser known but better.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agreed with your observations and bought my first conquest 6 years ago.I know have conquests on my main hunting rigs where leupolds use to live. Leupold sort offorced me to look when they stopped using 1 piece tubes (In the VXIII). Zeiss won in optics and functions like constant eye relief, etched reticle, etconly helped the sell. They have passed every test I could throw at them in the field with flying colours and not one hintof troubles to report. I have them mounted on: 2506rem, 7mm rem mag, 338wm and 50 cal ML.

Like mentioned both are quality scopes, I just think the conquest represents better return on investment.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Zeiss Conquests a lot (even with the cheesy plastic turret caps). Leupy's are o.k and they have some scopes I really like, but with better glass, etched reticle and long, constant eye relief I'd go with the 3-9 X40 Conquest. You need to choose whatever your eyes prefer...IMO.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to compare them side by side if possible. That way you would know in a heartbeat which looks clearer. Also the tracking is excellent on both scopes but the clearness prize goes to the Conquest.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

I went through the same thing as you. I was patient and wound up getting a year end closeout on a VX III. Regularly $729 and I got it for $529. Both are great scopes, I'd just look for the best deal.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have2 Vari-X III's and aConquest. You will not go wrong with either. Seems that most places have these priced about the same. Personally I think that the Conquest is a tad above the 2 - Vari-X III's that I have. Mind you that my Conquest was bought in late 2007 and the Vari-X III's 4-5 years ago, so I may not be comparing apples to apples.

It appears to me that the Conquest iscrisper across the field of view, with better very low light visiblity ... but very little. Stay patient as already mentioned and you could find a bargain on either. If you know a good, very reputable gun shop, ask themn about "take-off" trade-ins. Usually these are being traded by shooters that ate going way upscale to the high dollar scopes, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the trade in.Might save you a $100 bucks or so.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to http://www.samplelist.com/