Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

zeiss or leupold ????

Old 01-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default zeiss or leupold ????

Hi, got a question, Just purchased 270wsnSako Finnlight. need to put a scope on it now. been looking at the zeiss conquest, and the Leupold Vari XIII. Looking at something with a 50mm bell need opinions thanks.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: zeiss or leupold ????

I personally prefer the Conquest...

Have you actually handled the Conquest? They are relatively big, and heavy in the 50mm models....not sure why you would buy a "lite" model gun then place a such a large scope on it...?

I think you would you be much better off with the Conquest 3-9x40, or if you really want something bigger the Conquest 3.5-10x44.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a Leupold 4.5-14X40 VXIII, and it is a very nice scope. It is bright, and very compact for it's power. Probably the best feature I like about it is the eye relief.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being that it’s a Finnlight ,I would go with the Conquest 3-9 x 40 or the 3.5-10 x 44 as previously mentioned to keep the weight down but if you’re going to use some Optilock base and rings then it doesn’t matter because the lowest rings can still handle 50 mm obj. lens if you so desire. Hope you enjoy your 270 WSM Sako as much as I do. Good luck...

Just to add, the 3-9 Conquest has a constant 4” eye relief and the 3.5-10 has 3.5” of constant eye relief , in case you’re interested...
Old 01-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

go with the zeiss conquest3x9x40 great scope
Old 01-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Zeiss, with it no need to go with 50mm bell. Ihave 2 40 & 44 and don't notice any real world difference between them. In my comparison both favored better than the VXIII in regards to clarity & brightness. Constant eye relief is big plus IMHO. Never owned a scope with it prior and now I really prefer it to the variable my leupolds, bushnells, etc give.

Either scope (leuy VX III or Conquest)in 40mm will harness/transmit more thanenough light for legal biggame hunting.

If you must have a 50 mm then so be it, I still say Zeiss though.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for Zeiss here. Optical performance is just better than Leupold in my experience with both. I've got 3-9x40 Conquests sitting atop both of my Sakos.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

I know Zeiss puts out a good product but I am thrilled w/the Leupold 3x9x50 I purchased for my A-bolt 270 wsm last year...it has great optics/eye relief..
Old 01-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Reason for purchasing Finnlight, I was looking for a stainlessA-bolt in 270wsm, and local dealer ( small mom and pop sportshop ) would have to order one for me, but he said he had this new sako finnlight in the caliber I was looking for. had a sticker price on it of $1399.00 but he didnt want to carry it overtill next year. said would take $1000.00 including tax. the browning same caliber was around $800.00, (and I looked around alot.) always dreamed of owning a sako but never thought I could afford one. didnt need it to be light, 95% of my hunting is donefrom a stand. so scope weightwasn't that critical. I don't want to offendBrowning A-boltfans but after handling the Browning and the Sako, there is no comparison. only thing I have to do now is to start putting money away for a good high quality scope. thanks for the zeiss info.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have the leupold and i love it and if you put aluminator lens on it is super bright

Quick Reply: zeiss or leupold ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.