Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Vortex Nomad Spotter >

Vortex Nomad Spotter

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Vortex Nomad Spotter

Old 05-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Spike

Default Vortex Nomad Spotter

I am wondering if anyone has tried out the Vortex Nomad Spotting scope? I am interested in getting a spotter and all of the Vortex products that I have handled/had had really good glass. I am interested in the quality if anyone has tried one.

Cameralandny has a special model of the Nomad that was specially made for someone and I guess they intentionally left the Vortex name off. Anyway the special model is a 20-60x80 instead of the the usual 20-60x65. Also it is priced right, $199.

Just figured that I would post the deal and was inquirinf about anyone's experience with their spotting scopes.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Vortex Nomad Spotter

I give it a thumbs up. I stumbled across their optics (binocs) at my bowstore and never looked back. You cant beat it for the price. They are based close to me in Middleton WI and I stopped in for a look earlier this year and I was happily surprised and impressed from their entry level crossfire series up through the diamondback and viper series. But yeah you will be happy with the Nomad. Hope that helps a little.....
Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have the spotting scope in question. I bought it at the $199 price. It is excellent for the price. Optically the image is bright, sharp and constrasty. Edge to edge sharpness is very good as well. Even color fringing is fairly well controlled until you crank the zoom up past 50x. Even then the image is still entirely usable.

The fit and finish and overall construction of the scope is very good. I have absolutely no complaints as there isn't any slop in the focusing mechanism or zoom eyepiece. The scope is really well put together. In addition the physical size of the scope is not what one would expect from an 80 mm model. It is barely larger and heavier than my Pentax 65 ED.

Two thumbs up from me as well on this scope!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Spike

thanks for the replies. I received the scope early this week but have not had a chance to put it through its paces since it has been around 100 degrees almost every day. The heat waves have ben distorting everything. The only thing that I really don't like is the screw off eye cap cover.