Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Elite 3200 objective adjustment Q >

Elite 3200 objective adjustment Q

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Elite 3200 objective adjustment Q

Old 01-10-2009, 11:14 PM

Default Elite 3200 objective adjustment Q

Hey i just got a Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x40mm. I was wondering if the function of the objective adjustment ring is to adjust the reticle so it is clear in the scope? Is that why there are different yardage options on the scope? So if i'm taking a 200 yard shot, do i switch the adjustment ring to the 200 option mark?

This is what i think the feature is for but i want to make sure so i know my scope better. Thanks for a response!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Elite 3200 objective adjustment Q

The adjustable objective is intended to allow you to adjust the parallax at various distances.If the parallax is not adjusted correctly,and you move your head around as you look through the scope,the crosshairs will appear to move on the target.If the parallax is adjusted correctly,this will not happen.It is not a focus adjustment.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

Focus adjusts the scope to the individual shooter's eye... this is a one time adjustment. (For geezers and wearers of prescription lenses this could be a multiple procedure event if new prescription arrive.) The purpose of this adjustment is to adjust the scope so that the image of the reticle (crosshairs) is properly aligned with the back of the shooters eye.

Parallax adjusts the target to the reticle (crosshair). The target image and the reticle must be on the same focal plane within the scope or there is room for apparent movement of the reticle on the target when the shooter'e eye moves (or is positioned differently at the scope).

Old 01-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

I have the exact same scope on my .243.

Your owners manuel explains how to focus the reticle and properly use the AO (adjustable objective)

The ocularlens (part closest to the eye) turns to adjust the reticle focus for your eye.

The purpose of the adjustable objective lens with the yardage settings, as glockman88 correctly stated, is make the image parallax free for the yardage in which the shot is to be taken. Typically 4X12 and higher magnifications range scopes must have an adjustable objective to correct parallax. Parallax occurs when the image and the reticle are not in the same focal plane and the aming point (crosshairs) move on the target when you move your head horizontally while viewing the image.

You will notice thatan image will come into better focus when the ocular lens is adjusted correctly for the distance being viewed. Also, the yardage marks may or may not be accurate, which is something you will need to pay attention to.

In general I leave mine on about 100-150yards when hunting open terrain and 100 yards or slightly less when hunting in the woods. If a long shot presents itself then I will adjust the AO as indicated, otherwise I leave it alone.