Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 How do you mount a scope? >

How do you mount a scope?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

How do you mount a scope?

Old 01-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default How do you mount a scope?

Ok, go ahead and laugh. I might be qualified for the dumbest question of 2009 and win a toaster oven. .....But seriously, how do you mount a scope. Do you attach the base, put the scope on, put the rings on kinda loose and move the scope to adjust for the eye relief to where you can see clearly when you shoulder the ML and then tighten??? Is that all? Do I need some kind of screwdriver torque "wrench" to not over tighten the screws??? Do I need a gun rest to make sure everything's level? Help----DrAsus

Old 01-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you mount a scope?

Well first thing I normally do is clean the base and rings with a solvent and oil slightly. Removing any rust or manufactures oils. I then fasten the base to the receiver being careful that I don’t let anything slip that might scratched the rifle.

Some guys will suggest to torch the screws with a tool and use loctite but I’ve never done this. I usually tighten the screws but will stagger from screw to screw till they are all tighten to my liking. I will add a touch of oil on the threads to try and prevent any rusting. I then mount the bottom rings making sure they are center if the base has windage screws on the back rings.

Place the scope on the rings and carefully placing the top rings in place. I thread the screws in place but using oil as previously mentioned until it’s tight enough to hold the scope but loose enough for adjustment. Shouldering the rifle I place the scope to my desired eye relief making sure I don’t move the scope and start tightening, staggering from screw to screw like tightening lugs on a tire rim. As the scope is being tighten, I verify that it’s still to my desired setting until it’s all done. I also make sure the space between the rings are equal on both sides.

Some guy may suggest to lap the rings but I have never done this either. I do use a gun rest to hold the rifle in place when doing the work. This helps a considerable amount when working on the rifle. As I do this work, I verify that the scope follows the line of the barrel to prevent any wind age issues during sighting in. Hope this helps. I’m sure other members will add to your thread. Good luck...
Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

First I clean and oil all the parts including the screws.If it's a new gun I clean the whole thing.Next I set the eye relief with the scope nice and loose.I then put the gun in a gun vise and get it dead level.Next level the scope and snug it down.The reason for this is to insure the vertical crosshair is aligned with the vortex of the bore.Recheck again and finish tightening the ring screws.Bore sight it and you're ready to hit the range.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do pretty much everything the guys above do. Except the plumb line.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Instead of using a plumb line I set up a level and line up the cross hair to the top of the level as best I can. It's the same thing but on a different axis. I also clean all screw and receiver threads with alcohol to remove any oils.I use blue loctite on the mounting screws but nothing on the ring screws.