Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Remington 700 7mm Mag - Leupold VX-II 3x9-50 >

Remington 700 7mm Mag - Leupold VX-II 3x9-50

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Remington 700 7mm Mag - Leupold VX-II 3x9-50

Old 12-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington 700 7mm Mag - Leupold VX-II 3x9-50

Anyone have any experience with this scope on a 7mm? My Remington 700 7mm (wood stock) kicks like a mule and it's in need of a good scope. A week before gun season we were shooting and my old "trusty Tasco.....heheheheh, I know but it never failed until this year) went south so a buddy let me borrow his Nikon Buckmaster 6x18-40 that he had on his .204
I got to be honest with you, I hate the Nikon. I can't see through it after dusk. I don't know if the scope is bad or what but I can't see myself buying a Nikon scope after that experience. I missed two does (250 and 350 yrds). I have made those shots many times before.

I used my Dad's 7mm the last night of the gun season (Browning 7mm automatic) and he has a Leupold Rifleman 3x9-50 and fell in love it but his 7mm doesn't kick near as hard as my Remington so I'm looking at the VX-II. I'm just looking for peoples opinions here. I have a budget of about $400 and will probably purchase it from Cabelas during the "after season" sale when everything is on sale. I buy a lot of stuff from them online so they tend to send me a lot of coupons in email.

Also what are your opinions about the extra $29 for the "Long Range Duplex" over the standard "Duplex reticle.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remington 700 7mm Mag - Leupold VX-II 3x9-50

Put a Limbsaver recoil pad on that mule and it will be more of a pleasure to shoot. For $400 you should be able to get amuch better scope than the lupy.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

To begin with,the nikon was very likely a good scope,the most lilely culprit of reason it was dark is small exit pupil. Exit pupil is the diameter of light or view at eye relief distance from scope. The average human pupil dialates to roughly 5mm to 5.5mm in low legal shooting light. So a scope that was turned up resulting in a smaller exit pupil would naturally be darker. It's easy to figure exit pupil in a scope,or how big the exit pupil is at any given power of magnfication. All you have to do is divide the objective lens(front) in mm by the x of magnfication-example-an 8x scope that has a 40mm objective lens will produce a 5mm exit pupil. So if you had that nikon turned above 8x,it would have appeared dark,whereas if you had turned it down to 6x,it would've brightened dramatically. As far as what you're looking at,in leupolds,I would suggest the vx3-especially since you'll be able to find them on clearance. In my opinion,the standard duplex is just fine for 99% of all normal hunting situations. Timbercruiser-I don't see how you can say he can get a "much better scope" than leupold,possibly a small difference but NOT much better.

ORIGINAL: pnut
Anyone have any experience with this scope on a 7mm? My Remington 700 7mm (wood stock) kicks like a mule and it's in need of a good scope. A week before gun season we were shooting and my old "trusty Tasco.....heheheheh, I know but it never failed until this year) went south so a buddy let me borrow his Nikon Buckmaster 6x18-40 that he had on his .204
I got to be honest with you, I hate the Nikon. I can't see through it after dusk. I don't know if the scope is bad or what but I can't see myself buying a Nikon scope after that experience. I missed two does (250 and 350 yrds). I have made those shots many times before.
I used my Dad's 7mm the last night of the gun season (Browning 7mm automatic) and he has a Leupold Rifleman 3x9-50 and fell in love it but his 7mm doesn't kick near as hard as my Remington so I'm looking at the VX-II. I'm just looking for peoples opinions here. I have a budget of about $400 and will probably purchase it from Cabelas during the "after season" sale when everything is on sale. I buy a lot of stuff from them online so they tend to send me a lot of coupons in email.
Also what are your opinions about the extra $29 for the "Long Range Duplex" over the standard "Duplex reticle.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not like my Leupold VX-1 I have all that much and it's been sent to them twice in the 1 and a half years I've had it. I however, am loving my Burris Fullfield II I bought. I haven't had it that long so can't comment on how long it will last but it's way clearer to me than the Leupold and just seems great. I'm loving it. I honestly have a Tasco that's lasted and held up better than the Leupold and to me is about the same clarity wise but a few buddies say that it's clearer to them. The Burris blows both of them away but it also is quite a bit more than the Tasco. The Leupold to me was just a waste of money and honestly I wish I had just bought a Tasco or Simmons instead. Well, actually a Burris but I'd rather have a Tasco or Simmons over the Leupold.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

We know all about your problems with the leupold vx1 by now-he WASN'T talking about 1 of those,he's asking about a vari-x2/vx2.

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I do not like my Leupold VX-1 I have all that much and it's been sent to them twice in the 1 and a half years I've had it. I however, am loving my Burris Fullfield II I bought. I haven't had it that long so can't comment on how long it will last but it's way clearer to me than the Leupold and just seems great. I'm loving it. I honestly have a Tasco that's lasted and held up better than the Leupold and to me is about the same clarity wise but a few buddies say that it's clearer to them. The Burris blows both of them away but it also is quite a bit more than the Tasco. The Leupold to me was just a waste of money and honestly I wish I had just bought a Tasco or Simmons instead. Well, actually a Burris but I'd rather have a Tasco or Simmons over the Leupold.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

what about a VX III. Husband has one monuted on his 7mm has always performed very well in very lowlight conditions.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wasn't looking at the VX-1 at all. There are a lot better scopes out there at "bottom line" prices.
A VX-III 3.5x10-50 in Matte with Duplex reticle is $475 which is out of my price range of $400.
I do like the Burris Fullfield II scope as I have one on my Remington 700 .243 but I'm not sure how it will hold up on the 7mm Mag kickin mule.
Are the Limbsaver Recoil pads really good?

Old 12-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes,the sims limbsavr pads are EXCELLENT in reducung amount of felt recoil. The burris fullfield 2 scopes are great scopes within their price range and I've never seen 1 go bad yet from being mounted on heavy recoiling rifles. Nikon scopes are a sleeper in that they perform better than their price would suggest. The newer vx2 line is actually better than the vari-x2 they replaced,while still being reasonably priced. Wether you decide on a leupold vx2,fullfield 2,or nikon,I sincerely believe you'll have a scope that'll last longer than you or I.

ORIGINAL: pnut
Wasn't looking at the VX-1 at all. There are a lot better scopes out there at "bottom line" prices.
A VX-III 3.5x10-50 in Matte with Duplex reticle is $475 which is out of my price range of $400.
I do like the Burris Fullfield II scope as I have one on my Remington 700 .243 but I'm not sure how it will hold up on the 7mm Mag kickin mule.
Are the Limbsaver Recoil pads really good?
Old 12-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

The 7mm, mag isn't the baddest cal. out there..LOL I have a Savage Mod. 116 in 7mm, mag and have always used Leupold scopes on all of my Rifles. I have a VX-1 3X9X40 on my 50 cal. Encore as well, Which is brighter than most other brands I've tried, Bushnell, Nikon, etc. As far as being worried about your 7 mag hurting a VX-II, No way. My buddy shoots a Rem. 338 ultra Mag and has a VX-II on it. No problems.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

That 6X18 Nikon was way too much scope for that rifle. I'm kind of partial to Nikon, so if it was me I would have thrown a 4.5-14X40 Nikon Buckmaster on it and called it a day. I have one on my Rem 700 .30-06 and I love it!

Quick Reply: Remington 700 7mm Mag - Leupold VX-II 3x9-50

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.