Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Comparison of 15X Binos we performed >

Comparison of 15X Binos we performed

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Comparison of 15X Binos we performed

Old 09-26-2008, 10:53 PM

Default Comparison of 15X Binos we performed

Welove to hunt coues whitetailhere in Arizona. However high power binos and tripods are pretty much the ONLY way tosucessfully find the wary prey. Myself and some co-workers did a side by side comparison of a few 15X binos (as well as a 12.5X)looking at hills and mountains... here arethe binos we used as well as our results!!!

All binos are their companies top ends.
Fujinon 15X56
Minox 15X60
Vortex Viper 15X50
Swarovski 15X56
Pentax DCF SP 12.5X50 (yes the ED's are supposed to be better, however they only make them in 10X)

--As expected the Swarovskis were the best overall, stunning clarity, good field of view, simply put.....AMAZING!! (for 2,000$$ they better be!!!!)
--The Vortex Viper to our surprise was the next best, only SLIGHTLY behind the Swaro's, field of view was a littlesmaller, however the clarity was so close we had to really look hard to see a difference!! Light gathering was actually better than the Fujinons and the Minox this was evident when looking at shadows, and at sunset.Vortex did a great thing when they designed these binos, GREAT glass,GREAT coatings, and an amazing warranty.
--for 599$$ a SMOKIN deal for how good these binos performed!!
--The Fujinon,the Minox, and Pentaxwere so close they are pretty much interchangeable,All threecontain very good glass respectivly!!

Not a scientific study, just regular ethical hunters looking through our binos
P.S. three of us have bought the Vortex since we did this

Be safe

Old 10-01-2008, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Comparison of 15X Binos we performed

Thanks for the review. I read a similar "Big Eyes" thread over on 24hourcampfire. I do not think they tested the Vortex though I hear the Minox 13x56 gets some rave reviews.

Eventually I may be tempted to get a set of Big Eyes. The Viper sounds very hard to pass up.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default RE: Comparison of 15X Binos we performed

I heard some good things about Fujinon 15x56. If opportunity arrives, I would love to give it a try.